1982 GS750e random revving? Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750e random revving? Help!!

ok, so I got my bike back together, but not without some difficulty. first, the #2 and #3 exhaust bolts stripped when I removed them, and they didnt go back in right. so I think there is an exhaust leak. . I will be helicoil-ing it soon.

my issue is that, while it runs, and it runs stong, it will occasionally rev up, until I hit the kill switch.

the other thing that I should mention is that when I first got the bike going, it was only running on #2 and #3 cylinders... It is now running on all 4.

I have spark and compression on all cylinders.

its a 1982 Suzuki GS750E. anything else you need to know to help me figure this out? the carbs ran fine last year, but I forgot to drain them when I tore the bike apart.

so far, it has not spiked when I was riding, just when it is sitting still...

any ideas what it could be?

thanks...

Nate

Two things come to mind:

First, watch the carb linkage and turn the bars lock to lock. See if that makes the linkage move. If so, you have the cable too tight and/or you have misrouted the throttle cable.

Second, this isn't unusual behavior if your carbs are out of sync.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

fluctuating revs sounds like an air leak. check by spraying wd-40/contact cleaner ext. on all seals (boots, shaft that actuates butterflies, o ring behind boots on intake.) No point in synchronizing them if you've got leaks.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I figured out that the "random" revving wasnt so random.

turns out it only happened when I turned the bars full lock left... I noticed the pattern today. when i hooked the carbs back up, I routed the throttle cable wrong, and it was actually pulling on the carbs, causing it to jump in RPMs...

problem solved! I had drag bars coming, and they came today, so I put them on, giving me plenty of slack in the throttle cable.

Thanks again!

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
          First, watch the carb linkage and turn the bars lock to lock.
          ... I guess my responses are invisible anymore.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Well Robert, your responses helped me. I was having the same problem when I switched handle bars today. Thanks guys, what a small world.

Comment

Working...
            X