550 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 Questions

Hey guys, well due to the lack of interest in my attempt to part out my bike, i decided to hang on to it and work in it slowly. I figure if i cant afford to outright fix it all at once.... Then i should be able to piece it together slowly (hopefully without the wifey noticing! :-D )

First off i need to find a way to get a motor in this thing. My local bike yard wants more for a whole used motor than i care to spend at this time.

Question #1: What other motors will fit in this bike without EXTREME modifications? I do know how to weld, and i am decent at fabbing up brackets and what not. Will another suzuki gs motor drop right in? I did see where someone moddified for a gixxer motor, but i'm not looking to do that (unless its cheap and easy, which i doubt it is)

#2: I'm am 5'10" with what seem to be short legs... I already have the front forks adjusted as far into the trees as possible and have the rear coilovers adjusted to the lowest setting... And I still have a hard time touching the ground! Without a seat on the bike! I have heard people talk about chopping the springs (which i'm not against) but i hate to cut a perfectly good pair of springs. And dont really have the money to spend on lowering links or special springs. So my point is, does anyone have a set of springs that they have already cut (not too dang low) , and regret it, and might like to swap me even trade?

#3: I really like the humpback tank as seen on rotaryrodders 850(?), would that style tank swap over to my 550 frame?

Sorry for the essay, i see to do that when i have alot to say. Thanks in advance, stephen

Originally posted by CA180 View Post
    Hey guys, well due to the lack of interest in my attempt to part out my bike, i decided to hang on to it and work in it slowly.
    FYI: Well, that may be due to the title of your part out post which indicates a "500" rather than a "550". Doh! 8-[

Guess it's a sign that you're to get that bike up and running. Good luck!

Comment

lol... Yeah, i tired to edit the title, but i guess it didnt work. :shock:

None the less, i've got big plans for this bike! I had plans previously, but had a shock to find out how much a simple chain and couple of gaskets cost...

But, i hope to bring her new life yet \\/

Ok, excuse the over use of smilies... lol

anyhow, if anyone could shed some light on the above question.. well... sweet!

Later, and thanks

Comment

FYI: I believe fellow GS-er "Nerobro" has a 550 that he's put a 650 engine into.

Comment

ummm... I think he swapped pistons and the jug, but i'm not positive...

Comment

bump for folks gettin off work :-D

Comment

gs650 top end will fit...

gs650e engine will fit

or bore it out to a 740...
              1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Working...
              X