Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best fix for screw in tire?

Hey,

Much to my dismay, I found a screw in my front tire last night. It's not too worn down, so I don't think it's been in there for too long (I've probably been riding about 3 miles a day for the past week). I haven't noticed any decrease in air pressure for the tire either. What's the best way to fix this? Get someone to patch it from the inside? Plug it with a kit from an auto store? Replace the tire (it has about 7000 miles on it and is 3.5 years old)? The rear tire is older and more worn out, so it needs to be replaced anyway.

Thanks!
    --Tyler

Replace the tire

See those little cracks in the tread? not a godo idea and not good for
    treaction.........
    Get some new tires
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I agree with Keith, That Tire is About Due for a Changeout. If Money is an Issue, Chen Sheng Hi Max tires are Pretty Economical and Give a Lot of Bang for the Buck. J. C. Whitney and Others Carry them.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Me too!! For a shop to repair it properly, you'll probably have nearly half as many $$ in that old tire as a pretty decent new would cost.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Replace it. i just got tires to fix my 750 from bike bandit for $38 dollors. how do you go wrong with that?

Comment

New tire!

That tire is a wheezing relic from the '80s anyway. It was manufactured more recently, of course, but judging from the tread pattern, it's a very old design.

Slap a more modern tire on there and enjoy the difference. Heck, while you're at it, go nuts and replace the rear tire too.

Cheng Shin HiMax tires give fantastic performance and life for not much money.

If you can spend a bit more, Pirelli Sport Demons are top off the line for pure performance on vintage bikes, and Dunlop Elite III or GS501 seem to be favorites for mileage with grip.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you insist on keeping that antique tire you could slap a tube in there after removing the screw. I would tube a relatively new tire but not one with less than half tread and obvious age.

your tire has obvious age and less than 50% remaining.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

NEW TIRE! That tire is more weathered than my tire was when it blew last year.

Comment

I'm with the others on this. New tyre.

Bought my GS1000E 2 years ago with Pirelli Phantoms Mk11 on (1980's tyres) and changd them after a few miles ride. What a difference.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
                  1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                  2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't waste a string/rope plug on that tire, looks rock hard from the pics. For grins you could try to unscrew it to see if it punched all the way thru, but you'd still be left with a front tire with a weak spot. (Shiver!)

Comment

I'll join the chorus ... GET A NEW TIRE - RUN, DON'T WALK, TO THE NEW TIRE STORE!! If you showed me that tire with NO screw in it I'd tell you you're gambling with your life by riding on it.

Let me put it this way ... How much is your life worth? On a car you can often get away unscathed when one of four tires blows, but on a bike those little contact patches are the only thing between you and disaster! Riding on an old hard tire like that is just asking for trouble. Spending even several hundred bucks on the best tires you can find is CHEAP life insurance!!

Once you've swapped the old for the new (ANY new tire) you will be amazed at the entirely new and different bike you're riding! I know this from experience. My old Dunlops looked fine, but were old and hard (I had no clue either, so don't feel bad). Last year I sprung for a nice new pair of Pirelli Sport Demons and I kid you not when I say the performance improvement was truly like riding an entirely new sportbike compared to what it was before!! No matter what you put on your bike you will not be disappointed, but more importantly you will immediately feel the confidence that comes from knowing you're riding a much much safer bike!

Sorry to sound preachy, but there is simply no excuse for neglecting the most important part of any motorcycle.

Ride Safe!
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2007, 11:34 AM.

Comment

The screw might not be "too worn down", but look at what is holding it. :shock:
                        The screw just happens to be in one of the tread wear indicator bars. There is not much tread sticking out above it.
                        That alone would justify a new tire.

From what I have been reading on this board, 7,000 miles is "decent" mileage, and...
                        that alone would justify a new tire.

The tire "is 3.5 years old". Does that mean that the date code shows it was manufactured 3.5 years ago, or was it installed 3.5 years ago? I have seen "new" tires that had a 2-year-old date code. (Do you know how to read the code?)

Anbody that makes or recommends a tire plug also states that they are not to be used in the sidewalls or near the edge of the tread. Guess where your screw is?

"The rear tire is older and more worn out..."
                        Personally, I would not be bragging about that.
                        That justifies TWO new tires.

OK, is FIVE reasons enough, or do I need to continue?

Now, back to the intent of your original question...
                        I have had good success in using the "sticky rope" plugs that are available at auto parts stores. Splurge. Get the $7 kit that has the T-shaped handles, the glue and a bunch of "ropes". Make sure you use plenty of glue when you insert the rope, it acts as a lubricant, making the job easier and more effective. Small enough to carry in your tool kit for emergency repairs on the side of the road.

It it were my tire in the picture, would I plug/patch it?

NO WAY, NO HOW. [-X

If you want to do it to YOUR bike, just let me know where you intend to ride, so I can stay WELL out of your way and warn any friends or relatives that I might have near there.

Enjoy your new tires.

Last edited by Steve; 05-09-2007, 12:17 PM.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. When I took that picture of the front tire with the screw and saw the small cracks up close, I had this feeling that the tire needed replacing. For the rear tire, the treads are a little more worn down, but the rubber seems better, but I plan on replacing that one anyway. I'll swap both out as soon as possible.

And thanks for the hints on the Cheng Shin HiMax tires. I don't want to go real cheap for safety reasons, but also don't have a bunch of money to spend on this, as I'm still in school.

Thanks again!
                          --Tyler

Comment

One other question for swapping the tires. From the microfiche schematics, it seems like the bike uses tubes in the tires. Is it possible to swap to tubeless, or should I only look at tubed tires? (The Cheng Shin HiMax at Bike Bandit are all tubeless). Is there a benefit to one over the other?

Thanks
                            --Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by OneStaple View Post
                              One other question for swapping the tires. From the microfiche schematics, it seems like the bike uses tubes in the tires. Is it possible to swap to tubeless, or should I only look at tubed tires? (The Cheng Shin HiMax at Bike Bandit are all tubeless). Is there a benefit to one over the other?

Thanks
                              --Tyler
                              You'll have no trouble using a tube in the Hi Max. Don't bother looking for a tube type tire, stay with modern rubber designs. Tube type tires are usually for really picky retro types and have retro tread design...like your current front tire.

Comment

Working...
                              X