No announcement yet.

Best fix for screw in tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you go tubeless (which is preferable) you MIGHT have to modify your wheels to accept the tubeless valve stems. This is NOT difficult to do ... just time consuming, as it involves grinding down the area around the valve stem hole so that a tubeless stem will seat properly and not leak. I've helped do a few over the past few years with excellent results. If you're lucky your bike may already have been converted.

If you don't have the tools, time, or confidence to do it yourself you can probably get the tire shop to do it for you.

Regards,

Comment

Had to break and look at your sig, check your bike type...same as mine.

The wheels on the 80s model did come standard with tubes. You can put a valve stem in the wheel and run a tubeless tire without a tube, but sometimes they tend to be porous and leak air, if you try it 'you pays your money and takes your chances'. Also there is debate whether the wheel is a 'safety rim' type or in the event of a blowout would the tire slip from the bead. IMHO, let me stress that, MHO. If it slips off the rim or doesn't, does it matter? If you get a blowout, hang on and pray. I have ridden the bike tubeless for many miles. Presently though, it does have a Hi Max with a tube in it. My back tire is a Cheng Shin Marquis which I am running tubeless.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2007, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
        If you go tubeless (which is preferable) you MIGHT have to modify your wheels to accept the tubeless valve stems. This is NOT difficult to do ... just time consuming, as it involves grinding down the area around the valve stem hole so that a tubeless stem will seat properly and not leak. I've helped do a few over the past few years with excellent results. If you're lucky your bike may already have been converted.

If you don't have the tools, time, or confidence to do it yourself you can probably get the tire shop to do it for you.

Regards,
        I never did this modification. I just used a straight metal valve stem with a gasket (supplied with the stem) on both the inside and the outside of the wheel. No grinding was neccessary.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM.

Comment

You have received a nice warning that is for your own safety. Heed the warning.

That tire is very far past its prime and is not capable of giving decent performance, which means your safety is compromised by continuing to use it.

Dump the tire.

Do not attempt to repair it, just dump it and get a new one.
          You and the rest of your life deserve it.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

A screw in a tire, you replace it. That tire shows aging and cracking which also says the rubber has hardened and traction is poor. Even without the screw in it, you couldnt PAY me to ride on that tire. BUY a NEW TIRE, or make sure your medical insurance and mortuary expenses are paid up. You're going to need one of them.

E.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Cheng Shin HiMax can be used with or without tubes -- they are marked "TUBE/TUBELESS".
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post

Regards,
                Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                I never did this modification. I just used a straight metal valve stem with a gasket (supplied with the stem) on both the inside and the outside of the wheel. No grinding was neccessary.
                Last summer we had to do some grinding on either Dom or Ryan's (don't remember who switched) wheels ... a gasket wouldn't have worked on these particular wheels because the surface right up to the inside of the hole was sharply tapered. We dremeled out a very nice flat surface for the inside of the valve stem to seat and everything was golden. We also did a VERY VERY thorough job of cleaning and smoothing the inner lips of the each wheel to prevent rim leaks and as far as I know there have been no problems. I forgot to mention this important additional step, but then one would hope that any time a tire is replaced the inner rims would be thoroughly cleaned as a regular part of the job...

Regards,

Comment

The rim will be marked tubeless if is in fact a tubeless rim. Tire shops will not install a tubeless tire on a tube type rim either. I was told they couldn't by law. It's possible they don't want the liability as well but was told that by more than one shop. The year of your bike could be either as they were switched arounr that time period or a few years before. But you may have olde rims from previous stock too.

Comment

Working...
                  X