How hot is too hot?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hot is too hot?!

Hi everyone. This might be a total noob question, but since I've never had one of these bikes before (gs700es). How hot is the oil supposed to get on the temp gauge? I took the bike on the highway for the first time today and although I had a ways to go on the gauge, it looked like the oil was creeping up on the 210 degree mark after a 40 minute ride, only about 15 of which was at full-bore freeway speeds. I've never seen it go that high before. The engine fins were hot enough to boil spit. I've been having a few carb problems, which are being remedied through much trial and error, and I also found a little chunk missing in one of my intake boots today. It's just a little piece on the carb side of the clamp, but I should probably still replace it. Yay for having to buy new boots; I thought I was gonna get away with just o-rings. Also, right after the ride, the oil looked a little frothy. Not a ton, just a little skim of bubbles. Is that normal right after a semi-hard ride?

Thanks for your help.

My rides are in 80 through 95*F ambient temperatures and I usually see running oil temperatures of 220*F and stoplight temperatures of 250*F
    My highest recorded temperature to date is 255*F
    I read somewhere the oil is good through 312*F (Castrol GTX 20W50)
    I change my oil three times per year and I average 2800-miles per year.

Comment

I'm not sure of the oil temp. readings but to the frothy oil that doesnt sound right. I would change it and see if it happens again.

Comment

Oil temp is about right. On really hot days in Texas mine will run upwards of 240.

Comment

Agree. Mine runs 210 regularly. Heavy stop and go traffic (heavy on the stop) will drive the temp to about 240 pretty quickly.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Looks like I was worried over nothing. Must be that pesky 80 degrees and sunny we've been having all week! \\/

Comment

I had the same question,

I have the 85 GS 700E,

Comment

Fix that intake boot. Lean conditions will cause overheating.
                By the way I'm from Canton. Raised in Canal Fulton. Got as far away as possible.*\\/
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X