Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing chain adjustment for a 1985 (16valve) gs550es

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is a reduntant thread. I did do a search but couldn't find one relating to my bike.
    I am trying to figure out how to adjust the timing chain. It might be similar to other models, but I didn't want to assume.
    I noticed it had the traditional slotted set screw and nut , but also a thumb screw. I wasn't sure if the bike should be running during the adjustment, and if the thumb screw needs to be backed out or what exactly. I really need some help on this one, and could really use a detailed description of how to make the adjustment. I use this bike as a daily driver, but must park it until I am able to resolve this.
    I sincerely thank everyone for taking the time to read my post .
    ~Mick

Do a search on cam chain tensioner. They are automatic and shouldn't be messed with. If you want to clean it bwringer has a good tutorial.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

This is Brian's tutorial on how to make it almost new again.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        http://bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
        This is Brian's tutorial on how to make it almost new again.
        Thanks, didn't have the link handy.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X