Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Methods to Free a Stuck Clutch

Hey All,

I think I have a stuck clutch on my GS 1100 G. I have never been able to get it on the center stand and am wondering if there are any other methods to free it up the clutch?

Thanks for the great site!

Define "stuck" please. Stuck engaged or disengaged, or stuck as in the tranmission/wheel will not turn.

If stuck engaged (typically this will mean that you can get it running but it will stall as soon as you drop it in to gear with the clutch lever pulled in). Check the cable for adjustment and make sure you are pulling enough cable to disengage the clutch. If you find that the cable is working like it should and adjusted free length is good then get a big neighbour or family member to put it on the centre stand and drain the oil and pull the clutch cover. You can undo the clutch bolts (evenly and carefully back them out two turns then a half turn in) and remove the pressure plate. If the clutch is "stuck" from having the bike sit too long then your steel plates and drive plates will be stuck together in a big stack. Simply, and gently, pry them apart from eachother keeping them in the same order and direction that they came out. If this is what your "stuck" turns out to be then the plates will come apart like slices of frozen bread or eggos right out of the freezer. You should be able to pry them apart with your hands (the tabs on the drive plates are handy for this). Don't force any tools between the plates as you may scratch/gouge the discs.

Hope this helps.

Comment

You can leave the oil in there & do it on the sidestand if you want... you'll only lose a few drops.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If the clutch lever is not rebounding (unlike Dennis Rodman) it's probably the cable.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X