550 Wont start "hot coils" "no spark"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 Wont start "hot coils" "no spark"

Hey All, I am working on my 1977 GS 550 and I cant seem to get her running. Here is the run down...

I have hooked up to a better battery to be sure of voltage
    Checked and confirmed wiring
    I get no spark on Cyl 3 or 4 (Haven't checked 1-2 )
    I have tried with carb clean in the carbs and also the vent tube trick
    I have ran power directly to coils (Positive to Org/Wht)
    I have ohm tested the coils and they were both at 5 ohms

The odd part is and I couldn't really figure this out in a search is that the coils get HOT when just sitting powered up. I'm talking hotter than they should be when the bike is sitting in my garage not running. I am wondering if there is a fault inside the coils themselves, or possibly wiring. I have cleaned all the mounting points to the coils to be sure they are getting good ground. I have confirmed the ground with a multimeter. I know that on point style systems If the points are closed for too long of a time they will drasticly increase the charge time and heat up.. I'm hoping that this is my problem.

The ground and wiring are good all the way back to the points. The points are wired correctly with both leads (For point and condenser) tied to each other on the spring side of the mount. I have also checked the operation of the points to be sure that they operated properly and that the isolation bushings are not failing.

I am unsure of the timing on the bike. Tis may also have a lot to do with the problems I am having. Is there a way to set the base timing so that I can troubleshoot my starting problem?

I received the bike as a basket case and I am pretty skilled in electronics and mechanics, however my knowledge is limited to electronic ignition systems.

What advantage would a dyna S give me here besides ditching the points?

Thanks in advance to any reply that can help me out.

-V
    Last edited by Guest; 05-09-2007, 08:18 PM. Reason: Edit

Throw those points and coils away and go with dynas! (But I'm not sure if they make the S for your model)
    Your headache will go away.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by minime View Post
      The odd part is and I couldn't really figure this out in a search is that the coils get HOT when just sitting powered up.
      On my '79, the owners manual says that if you just turn the key to "on" and leave it, the coils will get hot enough to wreck them. My understanding is that you shouldn't leave your key on with coils hooked up for very long, if the engine is not running.

When I get home I'll look in my notebook and give you some good instructions for timing your bike if you're interested.

I had tons of trouble with my ignition system on my bike. It would run on two, then three, then four cylinders......different plugs would stop firing for whatever reason......I never did figure it out.

Like most people I finally went with the Dyna ignition and coils. Problem solved. You go with a 3ohm coil instead of a 5 ohm coil, auto type plug wires that are easy to replace, and much better spark.

Good luck.

Comment

Mark, thanks for the insight. I would definatly be interested in more info.

As far as the Dyna set-up, I might have to pass on the coils and wires at the moment because I just don't have the cash to drop into the project.

You think it would be an improvement? I jsut don't understand how points can be so hit or miss. It's very simple how they work

Anyhow, I planned the $120 for the Dyna S so I may just end up getting it after all. Now I need to find some replacement tires

Cheers!

-V

Comment

O.K., here's a good set of instructions on setting your timing....way better than I can do. Go to post #4.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
          X