airbox question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox question

My 83 1100 ez runs like crap- it has KN's on it and Im putting the origional airbox back on, my question is can you get replacement rubbers between the carbs and airbox- and if so how in the heck do you get the old ones off? thanks dave

Yes, they are still available. Try here http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...1983&fveh=2156
    They are held in with an open ended metal band. I would get new ones also.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I ordered the new parts, thanks for the resource, now how do I get the old ones off, do I need to remove the metal band first? if so how? Or do I just pull the rubber boot with metal ring out as a unit/ Then do I insert the new one with the metal band in the rubber boot? I'm sorry to beat this to death, and I,m being such a wimp on this, but Im afraid I will crack the airbox or damage it trying to remove these rock hard rubbers. again I appreciate the help:-D

Comment

No don't just pull them off.
        there's a lock screw, like on the old style radiator clamps.
        Loosen the screw until the clamp will swivel/rotate easliy
        and then will slide out.
        When you put them back on, try to line them up so you
        can get at them with a long handled screw driver.

My battery is under the air box, so I've learned how to loosen and slide
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Ok, what the heck is the problem here. I have the airbox off, clamps for the boot to carb are off. there is a rubber boot with a metal ring that enters the airbox- how is the boot and ring remover- Ive pulled on it way too hard and it wont release, it rotates but wont come off- what is the trick here?????? thanks dave

Comment

if the rubber has hardened completely you may need to cut the boots to get them out (this was the case on my 850)
            GS850GT

Comment

Working...
            X