Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor holder alternative?

Hi guys!

I've been using your forum for quite some time (search button), but now its time to ask a few questions of my own [-o<

I just had to give my GS1150/GSX1100EF starter clutch a small overhaul (repkit)... No drama, and with fine results. I managed to do without the OEM Suzuki rotor/flywheel holder by using a air wrench and making a improvisational tool (bicycle front fork and the fitting bolts).

No problem removing the "rotor nut", but I am not 100% satisfied with the amount of torque I could put on it when I tightened it back up. My homemade tool died as I put some force on the wrench, so I ended up tightening the nut with the air wrench. I think it will hold up, but I am not really sastisfied with the result. Would be nicer to have reached the specified 170Nm.

HOW do you guys do it? I bet you all don't have OEM rotor holders in yout toolboxes.

Thanks in advance
    Stud

How many psi are you running on your impact wrench? Who made the impact? If you have 130psi at the gun or higher...you won't have to worry about things going anywhere. IMO

Comment

I've got a big open-end wrench that fits nicely on the rotor, then I use an adjustable wrench on the nut. Swing one to each side, put one hand on each, and use my body weight to hork on it good. That, plus some blue loctite, and I feel pretty secure.

The rotor is an interference fit on the crank, so if you get any kind of decent torque on there and some loctite I wouldn't think you'd have a problem.

Comment

I cut a C- clamp in half and bolted it to a piece of anlge iron. The angle iron is long enough to touch the ground

Cut the swiveling ends off the clamp so they fit into the two holes on the outside of the rotor. Be careful that the threads on the clamp only penetrate the holes slightly not touching the magnets below.

Place the angle iron so that when the rotor nut is being tightened the angle iron is being forced into the floor.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answers guys. Very usefull
          I think I will try to make a tool like the one Turk has

Stud

Comment

I bought an 8' 2 x4, cut it in half (two 4' pieces) lay the two pieces parallel, side by side and about 1" apart. Cut a circle out of one end the diameter of the rotor. Drill the 2 x 4's edgewise for 3/8" rod. You end up with a 4 ft long circular clamp the diameter of the rotor and you can tighten the clamp with the threaded rod. The "handle" end will rest on the floor as you tighten the rotor, so no extra hands needed.

Cost me about $1.50 for the 2 x 4 and maybe another $1.50 to the threaded rod. LOL

E.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X