Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Jet Mix up, 83 550L

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an easy way to tell the difference between the 2 main Jet sizes on the 83 550. two are 95 and 2 are 105, and of course I didn't keep things seperated when I tore them down. Also wondering if the clip placement on the needle jet is different to suite the 2 sizes of main jets? 2 of my needle jets have clips on the second groove from the bottom and 2 are on the 3rd groove from the bottom. Any info is greatly appreciated. I'm so close to having her back together, but yet so far away!!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2007, 01:07 PM.

jets

I believe that the two 95's go in the center and the 105's go on the outside. It has to do with the outside carbs getting more air than the inside ones. Someone should be able to tell ya for certain. I might have them reversed.

Comment

Yes I know what location they go in, I never looked at them reall close, but is it easy to tell the difference betweenthe 2 sizes?

Comment

size should be stamped on them, a magnifying glass and bright sunlight help.

according to manual

cylinders 1 and 4 are 95s
        cylinders 2 and 3 are 105s

I assume the inner cylinders are run richer due to them being less able to dissipat ehat?

Comment

Thanks for the info on the jets. Much appreciated. does anyone have any idea about the Clip question that I had mentioned above?

Comment

that is a good question
            manual does not specify
            but does give directions on disassmbly or removal
            how bloody odd!

I have two sets of carbs and cna discern no difference in travel among all four assemlblies

maybe someone has been modding the carb in the past and added non-standard jet needles?

Someone must have an answer there are half a dozen or more 550 tuner types kicking around here

Comment

as stolen from a posting by skreemer

Fuel level: 6.5 +/- 0.5mm (.26 +/-.02in)
              float height: 20.5 +/- 1.0mm (0.81 +/- .04in)
              Main jet:
              cylinders 1 and 4: 95
              cylinders 2 and 3: 102.5
              main air jet: 1.0
              Jet Needle: 5C64
              Clip position: 1 groove from top
              needle jet: P-2
              Throttle Valve: 120
              Pilot Jet: 35
              Bypass: 0.8,0.7,0.8,0.8
              Pilot outlet: 0.7
              Float valve seat: 2.5
              starter jet: 55
              Pilot screw: Preset (added by me when you drill them out they are set from the factory to 3 or 3.5 turns out from bottom.)

Comment

My carbs don't have options for the clips, and the factory manual doesn't show any data on varying clip positions. Just one available clip position. Maybe check out a blow-up on bike bandit to see if your needles match the correct ones? They should have P-2 stamped on them. And yes, the jets are 95 on the outside cylinders and 102.5 on the inner ones. I wish they did have different clip positions available though.

Comment

I checked the jet needles and they all have P-2 stamped on them, so they are stock. I set all four clips to the second groove. we shall see if it works

Comment

Jack W,

Did setting clips to second groove from the top of jet needle solve anything for you? Did you have a performance problem, or were you trying to set the carburetors to factory specs? Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                    X