81 gs450 rebuild kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs450 rebuild kit

where would i find one and how much? the bike shop is telling me $70 just for the needles? are they screwing me?

I wouldn't replace any of the metal parts - just clean 'em. Gaskets, o-rings and the like should be replaced as necessary.
    Re-build kits can be found on eBay for a steal, if you're lucky.
    The dealer/shop usually has to order from the manufacturer (none in stock), so they charge more, especially for our dinosaurs.
    But you knew that already, didn't ya?

Comment

that sucks

i work at the dealership on sat's so i thought they'd give me a break. at least i know my carbs will be like brand new. they have the best mechanic in the place doing the rebuild so i'll feel confident when i do long haul trips on it. the tank had alot of rust in it and an inline filter but i guess they got pretty contaminated anyway. i have a clean tank on the way and some engine crash guards so i hope it will be mechanically sound when i get it back. i think it sat for about a year with the rusty gas so who knows. maybe the carbs were as bad as they say. thanks for writing me back

Comment

Originally posted by 03svrider View Post
        i work at the dealership on sat's so i thought they'd give me a break. at least i know my carbs will be like brand new. they have the best mechanic in the place doing the rebuild so i'll feel confident when i do long haul trips on it. the tank had alot of rust in it and an inline filter but i guess they got pretty contaminated anyway. i have a clean tank on the way and some engine crash guards so i hope it will be mechanically sound when i get it back. i think it sat for about a year with the rusty gas so who knows. maybe the carbs were as bad as they say. thanks for writing me back
        Unless that mechanic is doing the labor for free, you'd better dive in and do it yourself (learn your bike - you'll need to if you have any intention of keeping it for more than a month - see other posts).
        Mark my words: You WILL have to re-do/finish the half-a$$ed job that mechanic does.

Comment

I would call these guys: http://www.z1enterprises.com/
          Jeff is very helpful and knowledgeable, and will give you a good price for whatever parts you may need.

Comment

Originally posted by nabrams View Post
            Unless that mechanic is doing the labor for free, you'd better dive in and do it yourself (learn your bike - you'll need to if you have any intention of keeping it for more than a month - see other posts).
            Mark my words: You WILL have to re-do/finish the half-a$$ed job that mechanic does.
            the mechanic they have working on it is the best in the shop. been working on bikes for over thirty years and holds records in drag racing his own bike so i'm confident he'll do a good job.

Comment

Working...
            X