exhaust leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust leak?

I just replaced my exhaust gaskets yesterday and went out for a ride today. When I started it up it makes this poping sound coming from the header. I assume its the exhaust leaking, but it sounds like its only from one maybe two cylinders. I took off the headers and checked the gaskets. They are seated fine, but it still makes the noise. The only thing I can think off is that I am not tightening them down enough. What is the correct method to screw in the bolts? Start with the inside then out or vice versa?

try throwing a old gasket plus your new gasket in there and screwing it down... can't hurt anything
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
      What is the correct method to screw in the bolts?
      i think, do each a little at the time and keep repeating until the correct torque (6.5-10 ft lb on my gs850)

make sure that the whole exhaust system is in the correct position and well supported (in the middle, under the engine) but leave other bolts loose while doing the headpipes
      GS850GT

Comment

I have a Kerker exhaust and am using the stock GS exhaust gaskets. Do I need special ones instead?

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
          I have a Kerker exhaust and am using the stock GS exhaust gaskets. Do I need special ones instead?
          don't know what the end of the header pipe looks like on kerker
          take the gasket out and see how it sits against the header pipe end
          make sure all contact surfaces are clean
          if the gasket sits fine against both sides (the head and the pipe), and if the gasket is not deformed, and the torque is correct, sorry, i can't think of anything else causing a leak
          GS850GT

Comment

I have a Kerker and I install it in this order. I oval (bend) the exhaust gakets just slightly so they don't fall out of the head. Stick the header pipes in the head and attach the pipe portion to the frame just slightly so it doesn't fall. Put the bolts through the header clamps into the head just enough to thread. I alternate the tightening of the header bolts so they all go in the head evenly. You don't have to over tighten or you will snap a bolt.
            Last edited by chef1366; 05-14-2007, 04:52 PM.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Let me toss in a suggestion about anti-seize compound. Not that it solves your problem, but down the road...
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I got it fixed now. I will take it for a spin tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                X