carb valve seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb valve seat

I have an 83 gs750 . I am Experiencing a fuel leak. Airbox is filled with fuel. After reading a number of forums - ive removed the carbs and plan on replacing the valve seat o-rings. After removing the screw and metal clip does the valve seat just pull out? Does one just use Pliers?
    Im hoping that will do the trick. Im pretty sure its coming from one carb. There was some debris in that bowl. Anyway after replacing the o-rings and changing the oil if I still have a leak I will replace the petcock.

did you try here?
    GS850GT

Comment

You probably don't have a pair of these, but I use an old dull pair of end cutters http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bi...uct/1986-0014/ to grasp the seat by the grooved ring without apply too much pressure to reduce the risk of deforming it. Other than that, I would probably use a standard pair of slip joint pliars. I'm not sure what yours looks like, but you can see the ring at the top of my seat here;

These cutters come in handy for all kinds of things, like removing a variety of plugs, grommets, etc...
      Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2007, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. Its great to have people like you here to help!

Comment

check your fuel valve for leaking. If somethng gets between the O ring in the valve and it's seat, it will leak. Drain a carb and place a pan under the carb and walk away. When you come back after a beer or two and find gas in the pan, your valve leaks. Remove it an clean it. Turn over the O ring in the valve when you do.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by dwilkinson View Post
            Anyway after replacing the o-rings and changing the oil if I still have a leak I will replace the petcock.
            I think you could check your petcock leaking simply by pulling the fuel line off the carb with the engine not running (no vacumm), and the petcock in the normal run or reserve position, and waiting a while to to see if any gas leaks out.

You could also do the same check with the tank off the bike as long as it has fuel in it.

Comment

overflowing carbs can be caused by dirty needle seats in the fuel inlet valve as well as bad o-rings on the valve itself. The introduction of alchohol into the fuel supply last year was not good news for 30 year old rubber o-rings. I rebuilt mine this year because of gas-ohol.

If you have junk in to bowls the tank may be rusty. Clean the tank, the petcokc screen, replace the fuel lines, and clean the little tiny screens that are on the fuel inlet valves in each carb. Sometimes they are removed for performance () improvements but they are there to be a last chance filter for the needle seat.

Becareful with those float pins, The towers are easy to break. The carb rebuild pages on this site tell you to tap them out with a hammer and punch. I broke a tower that way on my carbs. Use a small pair of wire cutters to grab the big end and slowly work the pin out. Replace the pin by pressing it in rather than hitting. I've seen lots pf broken towers and repair jobs.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X