Which way does the triangle go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which way does the triangle go?

I have an 81 GS550 that I just got. Once it gets to about two gallons in the tank it stalls. The bike has a new petcock. I think I accidently covered the gas cap vent intake by having the gas cap on with the triangle to the front. Which way does the triangle go...to the front or rear?

It should make no difference which way you install the gas cap.
    (not certain I'm understanding what youre saying though)

E.

Originally posted by cycleman View Post
    I have an 81 GS550 that I just got. Once it gets to about two gallons in the tank it stalls. The bike has a new petcock. I think I accidently covered the gas cap vent intake by having the gas cap on with the triangle to the front. Which way does the triangle go...to the front or rear?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yes according to the owners manual it should face forward. But I don't think it will do anything bad if you have it on backwards. Must be some other problem. Please explain?

Comment

I used to have a similar problem, when driving at higher speeds (using more fuel).
        Thought it was caused by kinks at the fuelline giving trouble when the static fuelpressure dropped (the tank was getting more empty).
        Look for kinks and/or a clogged in-line filter.

regards Stig
        77 GS550B

Comment

One thought comes to mind...

Check the routing on your fuel line...if the line is too long and makes a loop, up past the level of fuel in the tank (when at that two gallon level) a static siphon effect will be created and your fuel will stop flowing. Once you top off the tank, fuel will again flow until that static level is again reached. Only explination I can think of if the petcock is working correctly. :?

Comment

As much as I have advocated using inline fuel filters in the past, I have run into a similar problem of late with mine (81 GS-850) and it seems to be a case of my inline fuel filter doesn't flow quite as much fuel as the carbs demand at higher RPM levels. A lower fuel qty in the tank could contribute to the problem by not putting quite as much fuel pressure on the fuel line to the carbs. Try removing inline fuel filters (if installed) and or straightening out the fuel line if too long.
            G'luck

Comment

As I've always recognized it, the "triangle" is an arrow that points toward the front of the bike. And I'd have to second DaveDanger on the in-line filter. If you have one, either replace it with a new one, or remove it and install a new fuel line.

Brad bt

Comment

Whatever kind of vehicle you're working on, anytime you see an arrow or triangle orientation mark on a part, it means that the part should be installed with the arrow pointing forward or up.

So on your gas cap, the arrow should point forward.

The exception is if you have two mating parts that have arrows pointing to the mating surface. In that case, the part should be installed with the arrows pointing at each other.

Just one of those universal things to know.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X