No announcement yet.

Screw this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harbor Freight typically sells cheap impacts for less that $10. And to second Earl, use something other than WD-40. PB Blaster or Marvel Mystery Oil work well, but you need to let them work for a day or so before attempting anything.

As for how you've drilled out the screw head. Once again, go to Harbor Freight and get the appropriate size screw extractor. After the penetrating oil has been on there for a day, or longer (frequent applications in between will help greatly), use the extractor with a vice grip or crescent wrench and turn it in (they tighten while trying to remove the screw), and it should hopefully come out.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
      I googled impact wrench, since I don't know what they are and it looks like manually powered ones still have to fit in the head of the screw. That won't do me much good, since there is no semblance of a phillips head, just a 1/16" hole with no grip for any kind of wrench.

I would follow your advice, mark, except I don't have vice grips, nor will the cover come off, which is the problem I'm having in the first place. I tried spraying WD-40 on the outside of the screw, probably because I misunderstand the name penetrating oil, thinking that it will seep into the threads.
      you are supposed to use an impact wrench to remove them but i guess its to late when you do get them out ditch the philips head screws there is a link on this site who has a kit to replace them with hex head bolts its like 20 bones youll get every bolt for the engin i belive the site is z1enterprizes

Comment

Working...
      X