Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbs: setting float height

Hi,

How do I adjust the float height on a '78 gs750 carb?

With the float bowl off, not all 4 the floats are the same height, this can be done by modify "b", but what's the right height?

when I hold the carbs upsidedown, "a" can be adjusted by measuring between top of float and body of bowl. what's the right size?

read somewhere about a clear line attached to the floatbowl screw, so you can read the float height, how and why?

Can somebody please explain, help me?

greetings marcel

a little search on the gsr goes a long way...

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=73723

Float Height - 25-27 mm

you adjust the float height with the carbs inverted and the floats in place, measure from the bowl seat (flange) to the top of the floats (the dented portion of the float, not the highest portion of the float), and bend "a" in your picture as required

with the carbs on the bike and the bike upright you can attach a clear tube to the floatbowl screw and bend it upwards alongside the bowl so to measure the actual height of the gas in the bowl (sorry, i don't know the spec for this measurement)
    Last edited by psyguy; 05-11-2007, 04:22 PM.
    GS850GT

Comment

I did search, but couldn't find how the setting for "b" was.
      When i use the tube-way, can this be adjusted by bending "b" ?

Did find the 25-27 mm float height, but didn't know it measures at the dent. Tnx.

Comment

My bike would not hold an even idle or high rpm , fixed it by adjusting the float height , my book had .88 inches for the spec , turned out to 27/32 or something like that.

took a piece of silver plate, and cut out what looked like a very small golf club,27/32 long with a big fat head ,with the floats in the carb and up side down , placed the handle of the club where the bowl gasket goes and checked to see if the club head would pass over the bowls , it did with about 3/32 gap, bent tab "a" , until the the club head just touched the float. it will idle down around 900 rmp if i want. just to add , the bike would not be running if it wasnt for this site
        thanks to everyone

gs700esf

Comment

Working...
        X