Little help - electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little help - electrical

I am in dire need of help with the electrical system of my 1986 GS 550 ES.

I have replaced the ignitor unit on my bike once already, but it may have gone out again. It had a great spark after I replaced it, I just could not get it to fire up and run. I took it to a local shop and they said there was no spark (again) and I cannot test it because they returned the bike to me (after I told them I could not afford the $1200 repair bill they quoted) with a dead battery.

I have heard rumors of a system that replaces the whole ignition system and is less finickey. Anyone know what this is? Any other suggestions on what I can do? I would even be open to vodoo magic at this point!

Thanks in advance
    T

Originally posted by RATman View Post
    I am in dire need of help with the electrical system of my 1986 GS 550 ES.

I have replaced the ignitor unit on my bike once already, but it may have gone out again. It had a great spark after I replaced it, I just could not get it to fire up and run. I took it to a local shop and they said there was no spark (again) and I cannot test it because they returned the bike to me (after I told them I could not afford the $1200 repair bill they quoted) with a dead battery.

I have heard rumors of a system that replaces the whole ignition system and is less finickey. Anyone know what this is? Any other suggestions on what I can do? I would even be open to vodoo magic at this point!

Thanks in advance
    T
    Dyna ignition system

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Comment

How hard is it to adapt that to an '86? They say you have to get the points from a pre-1980.

Comment

Originally posted by RATman View Post
        How hard is it to adapt that to an '86? They say you have to get the points from a pre-1980.
        Not the points but the original backing plate with the spark adjuster which you should be able to get off e-Bay. They are using the springs and weights from the original ignition advance to advance timing instead of programing the advance into the Dyna unit. I've never done a 550 but it should be an easy installation.

Hap

Comment

Working...
        X