Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear wheel on GS850G difficult to rotate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel on GS850G difficult to rotate?

How easy or difficult should it be to rotate by hand the rear tire of a GS850G when the bike is on its stand and the transmission is in neutral?

I'm guessing yours is difficult. I have a similar issue with mine.

I've narrowed it down to the rear brake still grabbing a little, that is probably the case with yours. I wouldnt worry about it too much unless the bearing sounds bad

Comment

There's too much drag in the shaft drive gears to spin it (you can't give it a shove, let go and watch it spin), but you should be able to move it easily with one finger.

If it's harder to rotate than that, it's likely a sticking rear brake. Using some other method than your bare finger, check to see if the rear brake disk is hot after your next ride.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to both of you. My back wheel is pretty difficult to turn; I certainly wouldn't be able to turn it with one finger. I will look into the braking system.

Do I need to disassemble the entire rear brake?

Thanks again :grin:

Comment

I just went through this on my 1100G. I felt the disk after 8 miles of not using the rear brake at all. It was hot as hell. Inboard piston had seized enough so the pad wasn't releasing and that pad was twice as worn as the outboard one. Rebuilt the caliper and life is good.
          If you decide to rebuild, stay away from the ebay sellers that want to sell you the seals and dust covers for $20. Flatout will sell you a "piston kit" that includes the pistons and the seals except for the one between the two halves of the caliper body for @ $22.00.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2007, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks again

Thanks Chiphead. Looks like I have some work to do on my rear brake.

Comment

Working...
            X