Checked the valves, strange result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked the valves, strange result

I pulled the valve cover off primarily to replace the washers under the bolts as they were leaking.
    I checked the valves while I had the cover off and found they were all spec. They were all a snug 5 thousandths.
    Here is the rub, after I got it all put back together, and I swear I didn't touch anything else while I had it apart, it idles lower than before, under 1000rpm when before it was 1000 or a little above.
    What did I possible do?

Turn up your idle adjustment.

Comment

Maybe you dislodged the vacuum line to the petcock?

Check all the spark plug boots and wires to make sure everything's snug.

Maybe you inadvertently moved the throttle or choke cable a bit?

That's all I can think of for now... this sort of thing has happened to me several times with cars, and it's usually a vacuum connection I bumped or forgot to hook back up.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Did you reconnect the crankcase breather tube to the breather cover on the top of the valve cover?

Comment

Wires back on the coils, and connected to the plugs, fires on all four. Breather tube hooked back up to the top of the cover. vacuum and fuel line hooked back up, didn't change anything else. still has me confused, thought i had damaced the coils taking them off, but it wouldn't explain the difference in idle and it fires on all four.

Comment

Working...
          X