GS550E Sluggish Throttle, and Just Not Running Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E Sluggish Throttle, and Just Not Running Right

Ok... so we'll start with the basics. The bike is a 1978 GS550E, it has 18000 miles on it. It's been in storage since 2000. When I got it out of storage it was leaking gas out of two of the carb. overflow tubes. I tore apart the carbs and cleaned everything I could find to clean... I really would like to rebuild the carbs... but haven't found a kit with all of the O-Rings and jets and stuff. Also, I just changed the spark plugs, and went a step hotter, it's running better, but is still not even 50% of what it should be. It's really sluggish... for instance when I give it gas it revs and sticks there for a few seconds. Take offs are painfully slow, and it's been topping out at 50mph (regularly, but it has been to 65mph once, and I can't get it to do it again). It only starts (when cold) with the choke on, and a spray of starter fluid into the air filter. Then you have to wait for around 10 minutes after it starts to idle really high before you can give it gas without it dying. Even after running 60 miles (in one sitting) the choke is still 3/4 on. I talked to my father (who owned the bike for 2 years before he put it in storage) and he said that it's ran this way since he got it from his father. I'm almost positive that it was suffering from neglect when he got it. It was probably in storage for a few years before even my father got it. It was originally used to tool around on dirt roads to and from irrigation ditches. It's only ever been on 2 true road trips, and that was from my grandfather. I'm at a loss of what to do. I want this bike to run like a champ! Not a chump. It's fine right now to ride to my work (7 blocks away) and (after warm) to my parent's house 10mi out of town on a county road. I know this isn't how one of these amazing bikes is suppose to run, any help or assistance would be wonderful. Ohh... and it may also be an issue of elevation too... were at 8ish thousand feet so it could need desperately rejeted or something.

Many Thanks,
    Drakanis86 (Brandon Vader)
    Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2007, 01:24 PM.

a couple things

o-rings avaialable from Robert Barr a member here, do a search or check members list you will find hhim.

Check out o-rings on intake manifold boots facing the engine. Available from bike bandit, basically count on them being bad.

The o-rings on the manifold may have a large impact on performance as well as replacement of o-rings.

IMHO both of these items are first steps in bringing back a long idle bike.

Comment

Yep, definitely time for a carb cleaning and some intake o-rings. When you take the intake tubes off, see if they need to be changed, also. They will be $15-20 each, the o-rings are less than $2. O-rings for your carbs can be purchased at cycleorings.com. The owner there is a member here and has developed complete o-ring kits for the carbs. You need to completely disassemble the carbs and dunk them (one at a time works best) in Berryman's carb cleaner (gallon-size can). The can will be about $15-20. Directions on the can say to dip each carb for 15-30 minutes. I have found much better results by dipping for 15-30 hours. Yes, that's one a day. Start with the first one, take it all apart, dip all the metal parts. Next day, take that one out, rinse it in warm water, use copper wires to poke all the holes, then carb spray and compressed air to make sure they are all clear. (Don't forget your safety glasses.) Put that carb together, take the next one apart, dip it and wait until the next day. You know parts will be clean then.

Here is a link to rebuilding your VM carbs found in the Garage section.

When you are done, put the right spark plugs back in. Hotter plugs might help mask the problems you are having now, but when it's running right, you will need the proper plugs back in there.

I just did a friend's '79 550. Now, he starts the bike, using the choke, puts on his helmet and starts riding. By the time he is in second gear, the choke is turned off.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for your help!!

Thank you guys! I can't wait to try your advice, to try to get this beauty into shape. I'll post how the process goes and how it works once I'm done. If anyone has further tips, or advice on this or anything else I can look at while I've got my motorcycle torn apart it would be greatly appericiated! -Drakanis (Brandon Vader)

Comment

Working...
        X