Front tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front tire

I'm looking to replace my old Dunlop front tire on my '82 gs850gl....any thoughts?

I put Metzlers on mine, but I think plenty of people use Dunlops still.

Comment

ive got metz`s on my gs450e

Comment

You could always install a new Dunlop. I will be installing a set of E3s later this summer based on experience with my Wing. Good grip, GREAT mileage.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have been using the 404's and love them.

Comment

Why on earth are you only replacing the front?

On the 850GL, you can get the Dunlop Elite III and the GT501 front and rear, both excellent tires. (MM90-19 front and MT90-16 rear, or 100/90-19 front and 130/90-16 rear)

If you're really just replacing the front, then just take a look at the rear and get one to match. The Dunlop 404 is an OK tire, but won't last long. There's also the Dunlop 491, which lasts a long time -- a good touring tire.

If the rear is a Dunlop 627, it's elderly dangerous junk -- replace both tires ASAP.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I tried the Cheng Shin Hi-Max, (110/90-19), on the front of my GS1100GK last summer, at bwringer's suggestion. It was a good tire, and cheap and durable. Good enough in the rain and on the twisties. Excellent value for the money.

Comment

Go for what you like and can afford. Best policy is to fit new rear and front if you can afford it.

I've got Bridgestone BT45's on the GS(X)1100 and Pirelli Sport Deamons on the GS1000, both work fine here.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
                1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

I just put a set of Perelli Scorpions on mine, replaced the Dunlop on the rear (worn out at 8k, and the Cheng Shin on the front, 16k), I love the new Perellis, got them from Motorcycle-Superstore.com, $97.99 for the front, $94.99 for the rear, free shipping, $10.00 oversize charge I had to pay though. Talk about good handling tires, these are great!!!!!!!!!:-D

Comment

I would agree with the other responses, I prefer to replace both as a set if I am changing the front. It will last through several rears, but I prefer to keep them a matched set. Too many possible issues with handling otherwise.
                    I run Metzlers on 2 of my bikes, and Dunlops on the other. I like them all, but lean toward the Metzlers (no pun intended).

Comment

thanks for all the responses...I was only going to replace the front because it looks like crap, the rear looks good. I just bought the bike and there is plenty to spend money on...

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        I would agree with the other responses, I prefer to replace both as a set if I am changing the front. It will last through several rears, but I prefer to keep them a matched set. Too many possible issues with handling otherwise.
                        Totally disagree. I've been mixing and matching for 37 years of riding, and 21 on GS bikes. No adverse effect whatever. Perhaps to a performance-minded individual who consistently rides at the racer's edge this is important. To most of us, in ordinary riding situations, mixing and matching front and rear matters not one bit. Never an adverse handling situation due to tire choice.

I'm sure purists will have an argument with me on this, which is fine. I just can't see throwing away a front or rear tire halfway through its thread life. We've had this friendly argument in recent weeks.

So a front will last you several years? I installed my front Continental in late March. The Cheng Shin Hi Max it replaced went on in August 06. I wish front tires would last me "several years".
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2007, 09:27 PM.

Comment

It's O.K. to disagree, Grandpa. However, put your bifocals on. \\/ I said Rears, not Years.
                          Dougrs, if you want to keep your rear, the purists will suggest that you match the front to the current rear tire. If you would tell us what is on the rear, we could make a suggestion. However, if you only ride on the center part of the tire, it won't be as important.
                          I've only been riding since 1965, btw, Grandpa. Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            It's O.K. to disagree, Grandpa. However, put your bifocals on. \\/ I said Rears, not Years.
                            Dougrs, if you want to keep your rear, the purists will suggest that you match the front to the current rear tire. If you would tell us what is on the rear, we could make a suggestion. However, if you only ride on the center part of the tire, it won't be as important.
                            I've only been riding since 1965, btw, Grandpa. Peace.
                            You're right, koolaid, I misread your "rear". Sorry about that. Peace to you too.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2007, 06:45 AM.

Comment

If you read objectively through the post, no offense was intended, nor should any be taken. Again, Peace.
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2007, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X