Fork oil without disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil without disassembly

Thought I would change out oil in forks on my GS1000. Drained oil and now it seems I must disassemble, is there another way. Thanks, Ron

You can fill oil without removing the forks. Might need to slide them down a bit in the triple-trees, though. Just remove the top caps. Or if you have the air valves you can remove the valve core and inject oil though there.

Comment

Two important things to remember: 1. make sure the forks are completely empty of old oil, and 2. ensure that the amount of new oil is EXACTLY the same in each fork.

A friend of mine got two equal size measuring cups and filled them the same with the amount recommended in the manual. I used an old dipstick and filled one with the correct amount and then marked the level on the dipstick to use for the second one. Both methods worked out pretty well.

Comment

ml = cc= oz = pts = ??

Originally posted by emjay View Post
        A friend of mine got two equal size measuring cups and filled them the same with the amount recommended in the manual.
        Follow closely. This gets very technical........

I dumped a cup in each fork. Done.

How far off am I ?
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

My book only shows the specs for shafties, but the '82 1100G calls for 8.6 ounces, so you are only 6/10 of an ounce short.

Depending on what model 1ofthesedays has, the book calls for anywhere from 8.5 to 12.67 ounces. The L model takes more oil.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I changed the oil in my GS450 forks last week, didn't remove them. I had to use differing amounts for each fork though, as the one fork has anti-dive fitted (but is not connected to brake system so it's disabled).

When I refitted the fork oil drain plug on the right fork, I couldn't tighten it up completely - the thread in the fork is stripped..

Do you think I could drill the hole out, and tap a new thread in, and fit a +1mm bolt to fix this? I am not sure what the tap might drive into inside the fork, so I'm a bit worried about just going ahead and possibly damaging it.

Comment

Working...
            X