throttle??? advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle??? advice needed

i just finished rebuilding and cleaning my carbs, installed a new battery and plugs, and changed the oil on my 79' 750. she started up first try (definitely didnt expect that to happen) but it seems like the throttle is getting stuck. when i rev the engine its takes a good 5 seconds for it to come back down to idle speed. any suggestions on how to fix this problem? thanks.

You need to verify whether the throttle is closing all the way or not. Check the linkage down at the carbs. Make sure it's hitting the stop. If not, check the routing on the cables. Or maybe they need some lube. If it is closing all the way, you have an intake leak somewhere.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Make sure both throttle cables are adjusted properly. If one or both are too tight it will cause the throttle to stick.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        If it is closing all the way, you have an intake leak somewhere.
        ..... or it's running too lean.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

well, i checked the linkage at the carbs, and they all look fine, they're closing completely. i dont have a second throttle cable, whoever had the bike before me decided to take it off, so theres just a spring on there to pull it back. so im guessing im just running a litle too lean. ill hafta go make some adjustments and see if that solves the problem. thanx for your help, ill let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

This is a symptom of your carbs being out of synch. You said you just had them off for a clean and rebuild. Even if you didn't seperate them and especially if you did you need to synch them. LOL!

Comment

yeah, your right, they aren't synched yet... anyone know where i can get a cheap manometer to do this myself? and instructions on how to properly do it? or would it be cheaper to just take it to my local bike shop and have them do it?

Comment

The bike was fitted with a push pull system for carb operation. It may be preudent to check that the spring is strong enough to bring all the carbs back as soon as the throttle is shut. May be worth refitting the second cable.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
                1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Originally posted by izeekeeal View Post
                  yeah, your right, they aren't synched yet... anyone know where i can get a cheap manometer to do this myself? and instructions on how to properly do it? or would it be cheaper to just take it to my local bike shop and have them do it?
                  Apparently most of the on-line guys don't ship manometers any more because of restrictions reguarding mercury. I got mine from BikeBandit for about $50 but they don't list them anymore. If you can get some mercury maybe 2 oz all you'll need is hoses and fittings. You can still get the fittings online. I couldn't find anything locally for metric hose barbs. You can use other liquids, water is probably the best as its got higher density than most stuff available, but you'll need lotsa hose. You'll also need a special tool to adjust the carb's. They can be home made for about $10.00 or bought for about $30.00. An auxiliary fuel tank is nice to have or you can use your bike's but you'll need a long hose to connect it and have to keep it high enough to gravity feed. I have two bikes and tune them about twice a year so the expense and effort is worth it. My trusted local independant shop also closed down. If you trust your local guy then ask how much it'll be. I would guess $50 to $75, but thats every time he does it. For about $25 to $75 you could get everything you need to do it at home. LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fgh View Post
                    If you can get some mercury maybe 2 oz...
                    Got me curious there, so had to check. I have a rather rare set of mercury sticks...6 columns. That's right...SIX columns. \\/
                    Got it back in 1979 or so to be able to tune my KZ1300 and have kept it ever since. I just drained the mercury out of it and measured it. 15cc or just over 1/2 ounce. That's fluid ounce, not 1/16-of-a-pound ounce. I am sure your more modest 4-column gauges would have just a bit less.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

if i can do it myself, id rather go that route. mostly for the learning experience, and to save money. i dont have any idea where to start though... i know that im checking for pressure, but i have no idea how to go about doing it, and no idea what i would be adjusting to correct any problems. anyone got any pointers?

Comment

Working...
                      X