No announcement yet.

Whineing to no end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a last resort, I would drain the oil from the crankcase, remove both engine case covers, remove all four spark plugs and then spin the engine over with the starter. No faster than the starter can spin it over will not cause any damage with the oil drained out. With the cases off and the spark plugs out, you will not have to listen for the whine with the interference of the engine running. It should make it much easier to locate the source of the sound.

E.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Good thought I think that I will try that. Have to get tons of gaskets again anyway.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

usually, spinning an engine over with the starter, spark plugs removed, the engine is about as noisy as a sewing machine. you should be able to hear the slightest tick or rubbing clearly.

E.

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
        Good thought I think that I will try that. Have to get tons of gaskets again anyway.
        V

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I just joined GS Resources specifically for this same problem. Mine is a 1980 GS1000E with only 3,000 miles (a future story to be posted). The bike has sat idle for most of it's life. Just got it running again (stator replaced). The engine has always had a high whine (subtle), somewhat like an electric car. Within the past week the noise has become much more noticable, lower in pitch (though not as bad as gustovh's #3 recording) and I believe from the left side. I plan on pulling the stator cover tonight and check for the problems noted in this Thread (wire mounting screw, stator rubbing on cover, etc.). Will repost once completed.

Comment

Well here is what Suzie Q sounds like with the valve cover off, plugs out, just turning over useing the starter. Can't run with the stator cover off for it supports the starter gear.
            Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

V
            Gustov
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            80 GS 550 L
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Well here is what Suzie Q sounds like with the valve cover off, plugs out, just turning over useing the starter. Can't run with the stator cover off for it supports the starter gear.
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

V
              That's quite a rhythmic sound. Is it being transferred up through the cam chain galley or through one of the spark plug holes? It sounds like something being repeatedly loaded by binding, then being released, over short cycles. Even a bent starter shaft?
              Use a large screw driver as a stethoscope next to each plug hole to eliminate the possibility that the sound is coming from the top end.
              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I ran it yesterday before I pulled the tank and listened with a stethascope all over the engine. The loudest I heard that noise was in the top rear cam chain area of the valve cover.
                I have the battery on the charger and will test with the stethascope some more today. It doesn't seem to be makeing as loud a whine turning over so slow. Sure can hear the valves working though.
                V

Is it possible to have a bearing going out in the lower end?
                Gustov
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                80 GS 550 L
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Well check this one out. I was puling the timing chain from side to side. Kinda scritchy don't you think?
                  I ran the starter without the idler gear and it sounded like a starter I guess, no loud grinding or anything.

I think that the rollers in the timing chain are supposed to spin like a drive chain and if that is the case the rollers are not rolling on the T chain, only one side of the rollers is shiny.
                  Suggestions
                  V
                  Gustov
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  80 GS 550 L
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

try this one http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...ent=noise1.flv
                    Gustov
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    80 GS 550 L
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I still cannot identify what it is. I dont think its the cam chain. The sound seems to be of striking something and there isnt anything the cam chain can strike. If something is being struck hard enough to make that repetitive sound, I would remove the oil pan and put a 19mm wrench on the right crankshaft end, turning it to see if I could find the spot in rotation where I could feel the "strike". With the pan off, and listening from underneath, the noise of the valves wont interfere as much. I dont think the cause/noise is in the top end.

E.

Comment

I am concerned about all the wear on one side of the cam chain rollers, when tugged side to side, the chain doesn't feel smooth but hitchy. The grind/hitchy sound tugging it side to side doesn't sound normal either.
                        I have pulled the machine apart as far as I can go given my work space at this time.
                        V
                        Gustov
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        80 GS 550 L
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I bet your cam chain guide is worn or broken.
                          But I'm not a betting man.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Chief, which L do you ride, shaft or chain? I have pulled the front chain guide and found nothing broken or undue wear, I will replace it anyway. The rear guide still is in one piece, has good curve to it, is still attached to it's pivit point, places tenshion on the chain tight enough with the automatic tenshioner.
                            The noise as best that I can determine is traveling up the cam chain galley, which brings me back to an earlier question, could a bearing be going bad?
                            V
                            Gustov
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            80 GS 550 L
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

There shouldnt be any wear pattern on the side plates of the cam chain.
                              I'll put my money on chef, and the problem is worn cam chain guides.

E.

I am concerned about all the wear on one side of the cam chain rollers, when tugged side to side, the chain doesn't feel smooth but hitchy. The grind/hitchy sound tugging it side to side doesn't sound normal either.
                              I have pulled the machine apart as far as I can go given my work space at this time.
                              V

Comment

We have the same bike.
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X