1980 GS(X) 1100 clutch plate issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS(X) 1100 clutch plate issue

I had a slipping clutch and therefore I oredered a new set of plates (ferodo) and springs (not ebc!). Just a few moments ago i installed the new plates (both fibre and metal plates) and the clutch slipped like hell - the bike didnt move almost at all.

I opened the clutch again and noticed that the old set of plates is significantly thicker (over 3 mm) than the new ones (old set 42,6 mm and the new set 39,4 mm). There was 9 fibre plates and 8 metal plates in the package that i received, just like in the old set; I figured that the last metal plate behind that "wire lock" is not included and left the old one in place...

What am I supposed to do now; can I add one pair of the old plates amongs the new plates so that there would be 10 friction plates and 9 metal plates + 1 metal plate in the bottom? Does this harm my clutch and is it gonna stiffen my lever too much? What do you suggest?

It seems that the new metal plates are thinner than the old ones. Should I try using the old metal plates with the new friction plates or something like that -could it be that they sent me the wrong (thinner) metal plates from a newer gsx? Maybe the previous owner has changed the clutch basket - how can I figure out how many plates there should be in the basket and how thick the whole set should be?

The earlier models, I think pre "82". they used fewer thicker plates. Then went to more thinner plates. Don't have my manual here at work with me to see exactly how they changed, but you probably will need another plate or two, of the same thickness you have now. You can check with Ferodo, they should straighten it out.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I installed the new plates back on the bike and added a pair of old plates (1 metal & friction) on the top; Now there are total of 10 metal plates (including the "wirelocked" one) and 10 friction plates in my clutch. Now the clutch wont slip unintentionally but the lever is bit stiffer than what it used to be. Is there a risk of braking something when doing this?

I found out that the metal plates should be about 2 mm thick and the friction plates about 3 mm. My new metal plates are not as thick as they should be, friction plates are as thick as the ones I took out from my bike (a bit less than 3 mm).

Does anyone have any ideas of these thicknesses..? Of course these plates are not OEM parts but i believe that ferodo parts are at least as good as the originals... It would be great to know the total thickness of the whole set of plates (excluding the one behind the wire circlip) so that the differences between separate plates on different manufacturers wouldnt matter. Sigh... :?

Any ideas?

Comment

Drive plates .11 -.012 (2.9 -3.1mm) each
        Driven plate .08 +/-.002 (2 +/- .06mm) each

Distortion .004 (0.1mm) limit

Springs 1.52 (38.5mm) service limit.

Standard size's across the whole range of GS(X)1100 from the ET via Katana's and the custom models. It also depends on how much you tighen up the six bolts.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
        1983 GS(X)1100ESD
        2002 GSF1200K1.

Comment

You also have to soak the fiber plates in oil overnight before you install them. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            You also have to soak the fiber plates in oil overnight before you install them. Ray.
            There was a small piece of paper within the plate box which said that the plates should be soaked in oil for two hours before installing them -thick oil for dirt bikes and not so thick for street bikes. I did and my plates shrunk \\/

Comment

Working...
            X