Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Gauge Broken. Repairable or Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Gauge Broken. Repairable or Replace?

I have a feeling that this may be a common one for these older bikes but I don't know what to do about it. Last evening on my way home from work I noticed what sounds like a golf ball in my fuel tank when I pulled up to a stop. There is something sizable in there clunking around in the fuel.

I then noticed that my fuel gauge has quit working. It dropped to the peg below empty and doesn't move. I filled up this AM on the way into work but it is still sitting on empty. So whatever broke loose in there is part of the fuel gauge.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what I need to do?

Thanks all...

Hoom

When I got my 650 years ago the gauge didn't work. The tank had been dented and was pressing up against the gauge, causing it to malfunction. I pulled it out and fixed it.

Could be yours has just come loose and disconnected. You should be able to get it out and check it.

Comment

Drain the gas and remove the tank. Pull the sending unit, it is pretty easy. Let us know what you find.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Have a look at the link below:

It erally helped me when I fixed mine, easy as pie! (not that I have the foggiest idea about how to make a pie)

Comment

Mine stopped working last month. I think it may be the float inside the tank. I am going to wait until winter to deal with it. I don't have time right now. Let me know what you find out.

Comment

In my case it was the float that came off the arm, pretty common I think.I glues it on with araldite, and it's been good to go ever since.

Comment

Welcome home Hoomie...you going to stay awhile??

Comment

Working...
              X