restrictors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restrictors

I have a gs750l. I made a homemade sync tool with a piece of wood, some tubing, a four way adapter, some u-shaped nails, and some 90w oil. my question is: does anyone know if I need some type of restrictors on the ends of the tubes? This seems very sensitive and I've been having some trouble. not to mention that I decided to order the little tool to hold the screw while you tighten the nut. I don't know if the problem is me, the bike, or my homeade equipment. could someone give me a heads up. has anyone have any idea?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2007, 04:40 PM.

re:

ok. assuming that I need restrictors would anyone know the best idea to use for them?

Comment

Get some thick walled tubing. Stuff with an id of like 1/16". Cut it into 4 pieces. Insert one each into your sync tubing. You should cut the sync tubing about 6 inches away from the motor for the location of this restrictor. They don't have to be precise. But the restrictor should be near the motor, not the gages.

What are you using for the fittings at the motor?

Comment

re

I have standard fittings that I ordered prior. I suppose this tubing that I'm putting in has to be pretty precise as far as being exact to each one? I'm sure that the length of each hose has to be the same length also? I wanted to add this. I read a lot of posts about this, but I don't understand something. If you set it evenly or 2 and 3 slightly lower at say 1750. how does the big influctuation between vacuum at lower and higher rpm's not cause cylinders to such too much gas? Is my guage just too sensitive?
        Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2007, 05:28 PM.

Comment

The intent of running the #2/3 carb a little low, if I am correct, is to run the #2/3 cylinders a little cooler. Be sure to set all carbs at the recommended rpms. Very interesting contraption you made. Oil being a whole lot lighter than say mercury, will give you higher sensitivity to vacuum. The heavier material used, reduces fluctuation sensitivity. I personally like a good set of mercury gages. You might try hard plastic tubes and round led shot that fits the tube, works like the ball set up.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by i57chevy View Post
            I have standard fittings that I ordered prior. I suppose this tubing that I'm putting in has to be pretty precise as far as being exact to each one? I'm sure that the length of each hose has to be the same length also? I wanted to add this. I read a lot of posts about this, but I don't understand something. If you set it evenly or 2 and 3 slightly lower at say 1750. how does the big influctuation between vacuum at lower and higher rpm's not cause cylinders to such too much gas? Is my guage just too sensitive?
            Don't those "standard" fittings have built in restrictors? Mine did. I got this setup. http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2727

Comment

re

I've been pricing the mercury gauges, but it seems all the prices went up, and some aren't available because of the laws. the split shot is a little scary, but I never had the right equipment to know. at the risk of sounding stupid, what's the chances that it will get sucked into the engine? now that I'm thinking about it, I guess the restrictors that I don't have yet will probably take care of that. when I put those in do I shove them into my existing tubing and use some type of connector to connect the 6in of tubing to the adapter at the intake?

Comment

re

thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by i57chevy View Post
                  I've been pricing the mercury gauges, but it seems all the prices went up, and some aren't available because of the laws. the split shot is a little scary, but I never had the right equipment to know. at the risk of sounding stupid, what's the chances that it will get sucked into the engine? now that I'm thinking about it, I guess the restrictors that I don't have yet will probably take care of that. when I put those in do I shove them into my existing tubing and use some type of connector to connect the 6in of tubing to the adapter at the intake?
                  If you try the smaller tube idea, you must find tubing with an id of about 1/16" and an od that will fit inside your sync tubing. You will wind up with a short piece of sync tubing, then this little restrictor, then a long piece of sync tubing.

Would a picture help?

Comment

Working...
                  X