shift rod seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shift rod seal

Anyone have a trick to getting the shift rod seal out? I would like to do it without taking the clutch apart. Anybody done this before? I guess if I have to I'll pull the clutch, then the rod, then the seal...but thats a b*tch.

Any suggestions?

Search

Do a search and I think you'll find good information. (I remember seeing this discussed in the past). I've never done it on a Suzuki but on my last Yamaha, it was quite easy....but a little tricky.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

well never mind, ended up drilling 2 holes on opposite sides of each other. then gently screwed drywall screws into the holes, forcing the seal out. the screws were dulled so it wouldn't score the aluminum. worked pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by runrx02 View Post
        well never mind, ended up drilling 2 holes on opposite sides of each other. then gently screwed drywall screws into the holes, forcing the seal out. the screws were dulled so it wouldn't score the aluminum. worked pretty well
        Cool trick!
        I'm from Canton Ohio. Actually Canal Fulton but who ever heard of that little town?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

wish i knew this trick a month ago when i did mine
          cool!
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            I'm from Canton Ohio. Actually Canal Fulton but who ever heard of that little town?
            Wow, small world. I actually did a benifit ride last summer and one of the legs was into Canal Fulton to some custom bike shop, but I can't remeber the name. I'm actually from hartville, but living in akron now because I attend the university.

Comment

My mother and many ex-girlfriends attended Akron U.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Actually, if you screw a sheetmetal screw in it will bite better than a drywall screw & then you just pull it out with a pair of Visegrips. Ray.

Comment

A pic would help

Looking to buy a 1980 GS450 which needs the shift shaft and clutch rod seals replaced. A pic with arrows showing where the screws went would be helpful.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Sorry, it's all buttoned up. Drill a small hole on each side of the seal and then screw a screw into the holes. The screw will hit the metal behind the seal, then force the seal out. Just be careful with placement of the screws because you don't want to mar the aluminum on the sides. Also be sure to dull the tip of the screw.

worked for the clutch rod seal as well as the shift rod seal

Comment

Sorry, it's all buttoned up. Drill a small hole on each side of the seal and then screw a screw into the holes. The screw will hit the metal behind the seal, then force the seal out. Just be careful with placement of the screws because you don't want to mar the aluminum on the sides. Also be sure to dull the tip of the screw.

worked for the clutch rod seal as well as the shift rod seal
                      Then you just slide the new ones on? Any circlip to hold them in place?

Thanks, in advance.

Paul

Comment

i put a little oil on the sides of the seal them slide in, then used an appropriately sized socket and rubber mallet as a driver. the shift rod has a clip and a washer in front of the seal.

Comment

i put a little oil on the sides of the seal them slide in, then used an appropriately sized socket and rubber mallet as a driver. the shift rod has a clip and a washer in front of the seal.

Again, thanks for your assistance/

Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X