1985 GS700 fork rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS700 fork rebuild

Hello again most helpful motorcycle zen artists.
    I have successfully disassembled my left front fork and have parts on order to put it back together with new teflon and metal components and I just have a question about two things:
    1. how to keep the damper rod from spinning when I put the bottom allen bolt in it - I used an air wrench to take it out.
    2. what is a good way to get all of the items 21-24 as shown in the attached schematic, into the tube fork without having them slide off center and get messed up? I'm just having difficulty visualizing how those parts stay on the damper rod when it makes it's drop into the fork leg?
    Hope this makes sense.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Do a search on this. I did the same job a few months ago and had similar questions. I asked and got some links to provide info.

The key for me was going to the hardware store and getting a 2 foot galvanized pipe to use as a slide for reassembly.

Comment

I did search throughout the forum and I built the tool that is like an inverted spark plug wrench, but then my damper rod doesn't seem to have any marks in it to allow it to accept a hex head, it's all smooth like a little bowl. That idea of the rod going through the parts is good, and I think I'll try that, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and that is the best way to go.
      Thanks for your reply.
      Eric

Comment

Also, with the inner tube in the upright position, install all the parts & then drop in the fork spring. Holding the fork spring, now invert the fork tube & slip the outer tube down over it. The spring will keep all of the parts in place to get the tubes together! Easy now, huh!?!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
        X