leaning out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaning out

Just have a quick ? My 1908 1100lt 4-1 v&h megaphone w/ k& npods all the plugs are white, I put a dyna jet kit in to there recomendations bike starts ok idles fine when cruising about 1/4 throttle it stumbles then when you hit it it takes right off strong. I've cleaned the carbs new o rings, air screw out 2 turns. I'm getting pretty frustrated, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.[-o<

sounds like a lean mixture
    the first thing is to re-adjust your carbs after re-jetting them as per "highest rpm method" and sync them. did you do this?
    make sure the gas flow from the tank is not restricted in any way (in line filter, squashed tube, faulty or inapropriate petcock)

if the carbs are all ok, you may have a weak spark (ignitor, coils, leads, spark plugs, battery)

you can also try using colder rating spark plugs
    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by 1100lt View Post
      Just have a quick ? My 1908 1100lt 4-1 v&h megaphone w/ k& npods all the plugs are white, I put a dyna jet kit in to there recomendations bike starts ok idles fine when cruising about 1/4 throttle it stumbles then when you hit it it takes right off strong. I've cleaned the carbs new o rings, air screw out 2 turns. I'm getting pretty frustrated, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.[-o<
      You can tape up 50% of your filters and ride it see if it responds better. If so, raise your needle up a couple of notches.

Comment

When my 80 GS1100LT was stock with K&Ns and a 4-1 pipe with a Dynojet I ran a 47.5 pilot jet, 170 pilot air jet, 132 dynojet main jet and the needle set at second up from the bottom.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

1/4 throttle at any type of run is going to net you some serious mph. But if you either try first the idle mixture then try which I think is the real problem is the needles. If your full throttle high rpm (over 5k) runs are ok and the needles are ok (about 3k to 5k any throttle basically) then shoot for idle mixture. Hey, I ain't rode the bike but it's just a shot in the dark kinda'.

Comment

Working...
          X