How to adjust throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to adjust throttle?

Searches have come up empty for me and I can't find it in my manual. So how best to adjust the throttle at the grip? Anyone have any definitive instructions? The gs750 throttle is tight and wears quickly on my wrist. I started adjusting the cables at the throttle end and that seems to have helped. Is there a price I'll pay at the carburetor end of the cable if I get the throttle too far out of whack either in carb tune or throttle response?

ontop of you carb under the tank on the bike above the third carb I think it is. There is a knurled knob screw, adjust it thru that. The one on the grip is for the slackness in the cable to take out. It does adjust it somewhat but it also puts a strain on the cable too. adjust it on the third carb. back the screw out till u hit about 1200 rpms or more. best to not go over 2000. but u can its ur bike do what u want to it.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

not too sure if this is what you need, but my 850 manual suggest to first release the cable at the grip, then set the cable so there's a 3-5mm slack at the carburetor end and then adjust it at the grip back to 1-1.5mm slack
      GS850GT

Comment

Does the throttle snap back from wot with no resistance?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Does the throttle snap back from wot with no resistance?
          Yeah, it snaps right back, no problems, just compared to my modern day bike, the throttle is much tighter. Is this normal for these bikes? Once warm, the bike runs smooth through the gears and at all revs. When I was rebuilding the carbs and hooking things back up, I adjusted the cables down at the carb-end with the lock nuts, all over the place trying to get the cables in the right slots. I figured that might be the culprit.

Does that even make sense

Comment

Originally posted by Cyg View Post
            ontop of you carb under the tank on the bike above the third carb I think it is. There is a knurled knob screw, adjust it thru that.
            Thanks Cyg but the bike idles fine. It's the actual twist of the grip up at the handlebar that seems too tight.

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
            not too sure if this is what you need, but my 850 manual suggest to first release the cable at the grip, then set the cable so there's a 3-5mm slack at the carburetor end and then adjust it at the grip back to 1-1.5mm slack
            Yeah, I think this is more what I'm looking for. Psyguy, do you have the 2 cables on the carbs? If so, is the procedure the same for both? I've had a hard time figuring this whole process out but I figure there's got to be a fairly standard routine for 2 cabled carbs like ours.

Comment

Working...
            X