Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS1100ES front fork preload, damping adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100ES front fork preload, damping adjustment?

Hi all,

I just had the fork seals replaced on my '83 GS1100 ES, and now the front suspension is waay firmer than it was. I'd like to adjust the front spring preload and damping as shown in the manual, but the pictures in the manual are unclear at best.

For preload, the manual says:

"First remove the rubber cap, fit a screwdriver into the slot on the adjuster head and turn it clockwise from A to B, to C, and to D, if required, in that order".

Well, I removed the rubber cap, and see the slot, but don't see any A, B, C or D.

For damping, the manual says:

"Turn the adjuster as showin in the photo"

Well, to me they are showing the exact same picture as for the preload adjustment. The manual goes on to say:

"Damping adjustments are indicated by the numbers 1 thru 4 engraved on the adjuster"

Like preload, I see no numbers. In fact, I see no arrows, numbers, indicators, anything in and around the areas indicated by the photos in the manual. Can anyone clarify what the manual is trying (poorly) to tell me?

Thanks!

ThreeTimer

for the preload, i think as you turn the screwdriver you should feel the degrees of preload, as it happens in stages rather than on a continuum
    GS850GT

Comment

If it's like my '82 1100EZ, just above the axle on the forks is the dampening adjustment knob. This will restrict the flow rate of the fork oil.

Comment

You have to look really close at the dampening adjusters to see the numbers. They are right on the knob. Up top you will see that slot, where you put the screwdriver in, move up and down as you turn it. Lower the slot is more preload.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Clockwise is MORE preload & counter clockwise is LESS! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys View Post
            If it's like my '82 1100EZ, just above the axle on the forks is the dampening adjustment knob. This will restrict the flow rate of the fork oil.
            Ah-hah! Found the dampening knob. Nice inaccurate pic in the manual!

Thanks all!

ThreeTimer

Comment

Wow. I have one too. I never knew that was there. Great thread.
              I would presume that 1 is the least dampening, 4 is the most?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                Wow. I have one too. I never knew that was there. Great thread.
                I would presume that 1 is the least dampening, 4 is the most?
                According to the manual, 1 is least (softest) and 4 is most (stiffest). They leave the factory with a setting of 2. It also goes on to say to be sure to set this to a full click or detented position. Setting it to something like 2-1/2 means you get the same damping force as setting 4. It also gives a bonehead-check statement by saying you should set both fork legs to the same damping.

In regards to setting the preload, I found you had to push down when turning, to allow the adjuster to move from one detent to another.

ThreeTimer

Comment

Yes, the preload adjusters look like this:

You can see there you have to push down as you ride from one setting to the next, similar to preload on a rear shock.

I have progressive front springs (no spacer) and I use a preload setting of 2. Firm enough, but doesn't beat me up. Need to check my dampening adjustment...

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X