X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best avalible!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ccs View Post
      I've put 1/2 can of seafoam into the gas tank, but put it into the oil?
      Are you sure?
      TIA.
      Charles...
      Although I have never done it, I belong to an fbody (Camaro/Firebird) forum where a thread recommends exactly that. If the oil comes out black, it states that crud has been cleaned out of your oil passages.

Comment

Marvel mistery oil was recommended by the Suzuki factory service rep when a customer with a Cavalcade had a loud lifter ticking in it. Fixed it.
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
          A friend of mine suggested adding a half a litre of ATF to an engine and running if for about 15 minutes prior to changing the oil. The idea being that it cleans up a lot of the gunk in older engines.

Is this a good idea in a GS? Will it hurt anything? How will it affect the clutch?

I did this in my old pick-up and it seemed to work good.

Lots of people suggest silver-bullets for all kinds of imagined problems. Your engine will be just fine only using the grade and viscosity of oil. Will adding ATF affect your clutch......maybe not.......but it wasn't designed to run in that so why experiment on yourself? An air cooled bike engine generally doesn't accumulate significant "gunk" anyway with regular servicing and good operation.

Comment

If the oil comes out black, it states that crud has been cleaned out of your oil passages.
            The fact is that with the good quality oils we have these days (and yep, that includes the 'el cheapo' oils) there isn't much gunk that can build up in our engines. A bit of 'varnish' or whatever won't hurt anything. It certainly won't block up oil passages. A far greater threat are beads of silicone from using too much on the gaskets, etc. which then travel through the system and block oil passages.

But I wouldn't run ATF in an engine to clear up imaginary problems, as sparkss suggests.

Comment

A bit of 'varnish' is actually a good thing to help keep seals / gaskets from leaking. Running too many solvents or detergents through a motor will eventually destroy seals, gaskets and bearings.

Comment

Working...
              X