Dyna coils dont fit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna coils dont fit...

I just got some dyna green 3.0 ohm coils from z1. The right coil sticks out too much and the gas tank hits it. So the tank wont go on all the way. I added longer bolts to push the coil more inward but it still touches the tank. Theres no problems with the left coil fitting. Did anybody ever have this problem before?

I once had to make a hanger bracket for the coils because of that problem.
    Its been so long though that I forget which bike it was. :-)

E.

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
    I just got some dyna green 3.0 ohm coils from z1. The right coil sticks out too much and the gas tank hits it. So the tank wont go on all the way. I added longer bolts to push the coil more inward but it still touches the tank. Theres no problems with the left coil fitting. Did anybody ever have this problem before?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I think everyone has to improvise something to fit Dyna coils.

I sort of assumed that would be part of the deal, since they are "universal" parts, so I never expected to just bolt them on.

I think Z1 has some smaller Dyna coils that might be easier to fit if space is tight.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I've also seen another brand of universal replacement in a few places that's closer to OEM size and shape.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I think I will make a small bracket that faces the leads inward instead of outwards. Hopefully this will solve the clearance problems.

Comment

had to fab up some brackets to get mine to fit !!!

Comment

I had to pick the hole I used on the coils pretty carefully & also the amount of packing & spacer between them & the mounting holes, they knocked on the first attempt but I swapped them around & they were fine.

The ports for connecting the wires should face forwards (towards headlight), I know that seems backwards. I had to fit the wires before bolting it all up tight as there was no room to get in there afterwards.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

3 ohm (green) dyna coils fit perfectly on my '77 GS750 when I fit them about 2 weeks ago. they ended up facing with the plug ports facing to the rear of the bike, which is backwards of the instructions but made routing of the wires even easier. I can snap a pic tomorrow if it helps.

Comment

Yes please get a picture. Anyway I try, my tank hits on the right side. But I think I came up with an idea for a bracket.

Comment

I had to use spacers to make mine fit, luckily there were some on the stock ones but I had to add or take away a few washers & use them in a different way from memory.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X