gasket sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gasket sealant

there have been many simalar threads, but I am going to step out and ask. what do you use for sealant on side cover gaskets and valve cover gaskets of the cardboard variety.
    thanks pat

NO SEALANT light coat of oil

Comment

Take that tube of sealant and deposit it directly in the trash, being careful to make sure it does not EVER go within 20 feet of your GS.

Seriously.

Install gaskets dry or with a light coat of oil.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Take that tube of sealant and deposit it directly in the trash, being careful to make sure it does not EVER go within 20 feet of your GS.

Seriously.

I agree, avoid using sealant. It can clog/block oil passages.
        A light coat of grease or oil is ideal to prevent gaskets baking onto the ali surfaces.
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

You know, as a LICENSED motorcycle mechanic & ex-Suzuki dealer mechanic, I am really amused at some of the STUPID things I see on this sight posted by people that apparently have NO idea what they are talking about. Just because some of you don't know how little sealer is enough on these bikes doesn't mean you tell everyone to just throw their's away! If you will READ your Suzuki factory manuals you will see there are places that CALL for sealer of some kind. There is a REASON!! Learn how to use your chemicals CORRECTLY & you will be happier & trouble FREE! By the way, Gasgacinch the paper gasket to the valve cover & LIGHTLY grease the other side where it contacts the head & you will be able to use that gasket for a LONG time. But, you still have to put sealer on the half moons where they go into the head. I use Threebond 1207B. Ray.

Comment

Sealant

I've always used a little sealant successfully......but I use very, very little of it.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              NO SEALANT light coat of oil
              Disagree (sorry Lynn)

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Seriously.

Disagree (sorry Brian)

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              I agree, avoid using sealant. It can clog/block oil passages.
              A light coat of grease or oil is ideal to prevent gaskets baking onto the ali surfaces.
              Disagree...

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              If you will READ your Suzuki factory manuals you will see there are places that CALL for sealer of some kind. There is a REASON!!
              Yahtzee!

If there was a "beating a dead horse" emoticon available, I would use it here.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I don't recall exactly on all Suzuki gaskets but many OEM factory gaskets have a light coat of sealer on them already - activated when baking. These gaskets should be installed dry to get the best seal. If you grease them the sealer will not work.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post

If there was a "beating a dead horse" emoticon available, I would use it here.
                  Here ya go:

Comment

Hmmmmm, me too, license and certification from the factory school.

[quote=rapidray;637792]You know, as a LICENSED motorcycle mechanic & ex-Suzuki dealer mechanic...................

I choose not to use sealants for most applications. That doesnt make me stupid OR uninformed.

[quote=rapidray;637792]
                    I am really amused at some of the STUPID things I see on this sight posted by people that apparently have NO idea what they are talking about.

Earl
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

On the specific gaskets mentioned in the original post, no sealer is required.

I will be the first to admit that throwing your sealer in the trash is an oversimplification, but it is a useful one in this case. Perhaps I'm making an assumption, but if the original poster had a manual, he would have seen for himself that there are certain specific uses for small amounts of sealer.

Maybe I'm a little harsh, but there's a lovely GS850 engine sitting under my workbench with a seized crank caused by the PO's slovenly habits with sealing goop.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        I choose not to use sealants for most applications. That doesnt make me stupid OR uninformed.

Earl
                        Of course not Earl! Certainly there are many other reasons for that!

:razz:
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

what kind of sealant is recommended for the clutch cover???

Comment

In the infamous words of Mark Harrop, "some day Jethro, ....some day". :-)

E.

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                            Of course not Earl! Certainly there are many other reasons for that!

:razz:

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

None is needed. If you're having trouble keeping it postioned while fitting the cover, a small amount of grease will work as a temp "adhesive".

E.

Originally posted by pos-tech View Post
                              what kind of sealant is recommended for the clutch cover???

Comment

Working...
                              X