open pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
    For such a bunch of supposed grown-ups, I'm always amazed at all the "fuss budgets" on the forum. Run your loud pipes..and don't wear a helmet (so you can hear them really well). It ain't gonna change my life a noticeable bit.

Life is short....Rock on!...
    that was more of the attitude i was hoping for.....lol

but i understand most of your concerns, loud is annoying. the straighties will only be on til i find a good exhaust set up for it.

Comment

a couple months ago i put a full exhaust on my 85 blazer, for about 2 weeks i only had headers and man that thing roared..... now its got duals with flowmaster 40's. i love the way that thing sounds....

its loud, but only enough to get your attention.....

Comment

When I was trying to fix a problem with my GS650G I pulled the baffle out of the MAC 4-1 exhaust and rode it around (trying to figure out if I was battling a lean condition or rich condition). It was LOUD, I race a dirt track car with open headers, and I race a drag car with open headers..............that little 650 4 banger with an open header on it completely obliterated both of my racecars in terms of L_O_U_D. I am deaf in one ear and I had a helmet on.......still loud HAHAHA.

If you have to run it like that until you can afford to get a good exhaust then do it, just make very sure you jet the carbs up......if not over richen them slightly to keep the exhaust valves happy.

Either way, as long as you are riding it.......be happy, thats what it is there for.

OH, and be sure to throw a bottle of aspirin in your backpack before heading off to you destination.....you are going to need it HAHAHAHAHA.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Daniel View Post
          When I was trying to fix a problem with my GS650G I pulled the baffle out of the MAC 4-1 exhaust and rode it around (trying to figure out if I was battling a lean condition or rich condition). It was LOUD, I race a dirt track car with open headers, and I race a drag car with open headers..............that little 650 4 banger with an open header on it completely obliterated both of my racecars in terms of L_O_U_D. I am deaf in one ear and I had a helmet on.......still loud HAHAHA.

If you have to run it like that until you can afford to get a good exhaust then do it, just make very sure you jet the carbs up......if not over richen them slightly to keep the exhaust valves happy.

Either way, as long as you are riding it.......be happy, thats what it is there for.

OH, and be sure to throw a bottle of aspirin in your backpack before heading off to you destination.....you are going to need it HAHAHAHAHA.

Good luck.
          if its going to be that loud then i am going to have to come up with some money real fast..... lol

Comment

I also have run a few race cars and my 1100 with open exhaust never was that loud. Maybe Mopars are real loud. :shock: I ran my 1100 for about 8 months with no muffler and cops didn't stop me. I will tell you running open exhaust will without the proper tuning destroy your performance.

Comment

Actually, he wasnt kidding about the aspirin. It will be loud enough to give you a headache in about 20 minutes and your ears will still be ringing an hour after you've stopped and taken off your helmet.

E.

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
              if its going to be that loud then i am going to have to come up with some money real fast..... lol
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have found that the larger the displacement the lower the tone and then the more distance from the exhaust port the less annoying, That is probably why the smaller displacement 650 was crazy loud and the 1100 was loud but tolerable.

Comment

I think part of that is also the fact that I didnt take the megaphone off.......I just took the baffle out of it.

In all reality it wasnt loud at all at an idle, in fact it sounded very cool idling. Even if I accelerated very softly and short shifted it wasnt all that bad. It was just accelerating hard and running at highway speeds that gave me a splitting headache.

And yes I believe you are right about the displacement having something to do with it. I have a buddy that has a 1300+cc kawasaki drag bike that is open header and it is defanitly loud but it is a much lower pitch than my 650 so it is tolerable and actually sounds very mean. My smaller bike has a really high pitch tinny sound to it and I think that is what kills me vs an open header small block chevy.

Anyway, the only real way to know if it bugs you is to try it out and see. Just MAKE SURE you tune the carbs correctly so that you dont kill the poor engine.

Have fun and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                    No, loud was when I put headers on my smallblock V-8 at home then drove across town with them wide open at the collectors to the muffler shop to get the rest of the exhaust fabbed. That was interesting. Ahh the highschool years... ;-)

The sound of a Chev V8 in a Sprintcar - nothing like it!
                    Hearing twenty four of them thunder into turn one when the lights go green - PRICELESS!!!

There's good loud and there's bad loud -

Good Loud - an old Ducati or Guzzi with a 'sporty' exhaust - like an Angel singing.
                    Bad Loud - a Harley with open pipes blasting through suburbia - like a cat being rubbed against a cheese grater.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                      The sound of a Chev V8 in a Sprintcar - nothing like it!
                      Hearing twenty four of them thunder into turn one when the lights go green - PRICELESS!!!

There's good loud and there's bad loud -

Good Loud - an old Ducati or Guzzi with a 'sporty' exhaust - like an Angel singing.
                      Bad Loud - a Harley with open pipes blasting through suburbia - like a cat being rubbed against a cheese grater.
                      To me all louds are bad, especially from motorcycles. I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                        Man that brings back memories!!! I did the same thing with my 350 camaro! The starter got so hot I had to crawl underneath and start it with a screwdriver till I got my pipes on.Ohh to be young again :-)
                        Hey my story was about a 350 in a Camaro (1976), too! Cut my teeth on mechanicin' on that car. It was still pretty loud after the "Muffler Man" made up the 2.5" dual with glasspacks. Every once in a while I'd unbolt the collectors, wire the exhaust up to the frame to keep it from dragging, and take a drive. The look on people's faces when you pulled up slowly next to them on the freeway then HAMMERED the throttle was priceless. Was so loud and deep you could feel it thumping against your chest.

Comment

Running just an open header can melt your exhasut cam and valves. At the very least scab a piece of pipe on the end of the header collector to try and keep too much air from entering the exhasut manifold.

As far as noise, I know when my V&H megaphone rotted off 50 miles from home. You ever hear those big bore V-Twins with straight pipes that are so ear splitting loud they shake the ground and set off car alarms when they go by? They will sound like sewing machines compared to you. Think offshore racing boats- the ones you can hear from 10 miles away.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                            In addition, the cops are monitoring noise pollution more now than ever in the past.
                            I could only wish...

It's time for me to pay my property taxes again, up 18% in the last two years. Every time I see some idiot running open exhaust on a bike, with almost no risk of getting a ticket, here's what I'm thinking:

--> Lost revenue.
                            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                            __________________________________________________ ______________________
                            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

im gonna run the open pipes for now, it may only last a few weeks but i have to see what they sound like....

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
                                im gonna run the open pipes for now, it may only last a few weeks but i have to see what they sound like....
                                This definitely makes you an anti-social idiot. Congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                                X