Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open pipes?

hi guys, couple questions here....

how many of you guys are running open pipes? are they full length, just header?

my factory exhaust was rusted off right after the header, so i chopped them down to just headers.... i plan to get the v&h 4-1 or comparable within a couple of months...

but for right now i just want to run some pipes to the back just to get the noise away from me.....

what are your guys thoughts and opinions on this? how loud is it exactly? does anyone have a soundclip?

are there any perfromance gains at all? concerns?

thanks guys for any input provided.....

I'm positive everyone is going to tell you not to. Its gonna be loud. They will also tell you that it is disresectfull to the people around you, and that you should have some courtesy. They will also tell you that the bike should stay on a farm and away from civiliation.

I say that if you want em loud, run em loud. Its your bike. Put a pair of straight pipes out the rear. It will more that likely change the airflow, and probably require a jet change and some tuning. I cannot tell you what you would need to use though.

I plan to run open pipes sooner or later, but i also wont be riding my bike at 6 in the morning when it would aggrivate neighbors.

Comment

i know it not "courtious" to run the pipes like that, its just for now so i can get it running and on the road for a couple months till i can afford a new exhaust...

i wont mind doing the tuning and what not cause i will only learn more about the bike in the process....

i really dont mind loud bikes.... and if i put the straighties on and like it that way, then it will probably stay like that. i just dont know how loud it will be yet....

Comment

I've been around a big 4-banger with open pipes. Loud is the understatement of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
          i know it not "courtious" to run the pipes like that, its just for now so i can get it running and on the road for a couple months till i can afford a new exhaust...
          Does that mean that you are going to hand out cards to everyone that HEARD you go by, explaining "Sorry it's so loud. It's just temporary"?

Sorry, but I am one of those that belongs to the "Silence is bliss" crowd. My wife's 850L has stock pipes on it. I would like to find something a bit quieter, as it gets rather raspy if you are following it. Seems to be common on the bikes that only have a crossover pipe between #2 & #3.

It has been said that "Loud pipes save lives." Horse hockey. Ask any fire truck or ambulance driver if they have ever had anybody pull out in front of them while they are on a run. Lights, sirens, air horns, and they still don't hear or see them. :shock:

Thankfully, I will not be near Omaha until mid-August. Hopefully the countryside will be quieter by then?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angel View Post
            I've been around a big 4-banger with open pipes. Loud is the understatement of the year.
            No, loud was when I put headers on my smallblock V-8 at home then drove across town with them wide open at the collectors to the muffler shop to get the rest of the exhaust fabbed. That was interesting. Ahh the highschool years... ;-)

Comment

Go ahead

I don't care whether you do it or not but I think you'll get really sick of the noise.....and that your bike will run like crap. In addition, the cops are monitoring noise pollution more now than ever in the past.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by CA180 View Post
                I'm positive everyone is going to tell you not to. Its gonna be loud. They will also tell you that it is disresectfull to the people around you, and that you should have some courtesy. They will also tell you that the bike should stay on a farm and away from civiliation.
                That's definitely what I would say, so I'll let you say it for me. Thanks!

The farm, though is too civilized; perhaps the moon... or hell itself...

Comment

i wont mind doing the tuning and what not cause i will only learn more about the bike in the process....

i really dont mind loud bikes.... and if i put the straighties on and like it that way, then it will probably stay like that. i just dont know how loud it will be yet....
                  Go ahead, be antisocial until you can afford to be considerate of others, which may well be never.

Comment

hi guys, couple questions here....

how many of you guys are running open pipes? are they full length, just header?

my factory exhaust was rusted off right after the header, so i chopped them down to just headers.... i plan to get the v&h 4-1 or comparable within a couple of months...

but for right now i just want to run some pipes to the back just to get the noise away from me.....

what are your guys thoughts and opinions on this? how loud is it exactly? does anyone have a soundclip?

are there any perfromance gains at all? concerns?

thanks guys for any input provided.....
                    No I don't run open pipes
                    I do have aV&H 4>1 on my 1000, sounds good not obnoxious.
                    It can damage the motor without any back pressure for the valves.
                    No performance gains really.

And I agree with everyone olse, no open pipes.
                    Keith
                    -------------------------------------------
                    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I have a complete exhaust for a GS 650G, not the prettiest but 100% functional. If it will fit I will let it go Cheep!.
                      V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Come on!

For such a bunch of supposed grown-ups, I'm always amazed at all the "fuss budgets" on the forum. Run your loud pipes..and don't wear a helmet (so you can hear them really well). It ain't gonna change my life a noticeable bit.

Life is short....Rock on!...
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                          No, loud was when I put headers on my smallblock V-8 at home then drove across town with them wide open at the collectors to the muffler shop to get the rest of the exhaust fabbed. That was interesting. Ahh the highschool years... ;-)
                          Man that brings back memories!!! I did the same thing with my 350 camaro! The starter got so hot I had to crawl underneath and start it with a screwdriver till I got my pipes on.Ohh to be young again :-)

Comment

i finally got muffler for my 350 c10 3 months after dropping the motor in there... Needless to say, everyone in the shop didnt like me when i was tuning it. Fortunatly we havent had an insect problem since then!:-D

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                              I have a complete exhaust for a GS 650G, not the prettiest but 100% functional. If it will fit I will let it go Cheep!.
                              V
                              is it the 4-1 exhaust? does anyone know if it will fit on my bike? im on an 80 gs750E tscc.

any help is appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X