Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always need to kickstart my 79 GS850. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always need to kickstart my 79 GS850. Why?

Hey everyone. I just got my 850 back on the road after replacing the rear tire, oil change, timing adjust, upgrading the R/R to a Honda using the info from the fine folks here and replacing the valve cover gasket with a real gasket. The battery seems to charge great now with the new R/R but I still always need to kick start it with the choke wide open, even at 70 degrees outside. Is this normal? I don't really mind but I would think with a solid 10 turns under starter power, shouldn't this thing fire up? Any input would be appreciated!

Josh

Best guess is when you use the starter, the voltage to the ignition system drops too low to produce a decent spark. Most probable cause is old wires, corrosion, possibly bad grounds, and poor/loose connectors in the harness.
    (assuming the battery is in good condition and normally holds a voltage of 12.5 or higher.)

E.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well does the starter turn the engine over at a decent rate or does it drag. I've never had problems with my Suzuki starter, but the Wing has been fixed. If they get filled with carbon dust from the brushes that can allow current to leak out and cause sluggishness. Bad brushes and bad or dry bearings and bushings will also cause problems. Check your solenoid by jumping past it with jumper cables, it could be burnt.

But first when you have any kind of electrical problem check all connections and wires.

Comment

That all makes sense. I doubt it's the starter itself. It cranks pretty solidly and the motor fires right up after it's warm. I plan on upgrading the ignition and coils later in the year anyway so I'll probably just leave it as is. Now to rebuild these damn carbs! Thanks guys!

Josh

Comment

Working...
        X