X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the proper name of this screw?

In the carb rebuild howto it's called an Air Screw
    motorcycle.com calls it a a Fuel Screw
    motorcyclecarbs.com calls it a Pilot Screw.
    Other places I've seen it called a Mixture Screw.

So what is it really?

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I think mix screw is the best term that I've seen used most. It makes sense, as it controls the air/fuel mixture.

Comment

That is the mixture screw. As already said, it meters the combined air and fuel.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

It is not a screw at all. It has machine gauge threads, and it is uniform in shape, so it is a tapered-tip bolt.

On this forum, you should just refer to it as a mixture screw, as everyone will understand it.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I call it an air screw.

Comment

Fredrick or Fred for short
            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Proper terminology, or lack thereof, is one of my pet peeves.

According to my 83 GS550E/ES factory service manaul, the proper term is "Pilot Screw". That's even the term they used in the carb spec chart. Unfortunately, uniform terminology is not something in effect here and, IMHO, that causes a lot of confusion for all of us. I always try to use factory/manufacturer terminology to ensure clarity, but I've seen several commonly used but incorrect terms used for this part, including:

Air Screw
              Air fuel adjustment screws
              Air/fuel Mixture Screws
              Fuel Flow Screw
              Idle Screw
              Mix Screw
              Pilot Air Screw
              Pilot Air Jet
              Pilot Jet (this one's just plain wrong as this is the proper name for a different part)

...and, I'm sure, many more.

Bottom line is that there are MANY different terms that are used to refer to the Pilot Screw, so it's up to you to ensure that you and who you communicate with are discussing the same part. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                I've seen several commonly used but incorrect terms used for this part, including:

Air Screw
                Air fuel adjustment screws
                Air/fuel Mixture Screws
                Fuel Flow Screw
                Idle Screw
                Mix Screw
                Pilot Air Screw
                Pilot Air Jet
                Pilot Jet (this one's just plain wrong as this is the proper name for a different part)

...and, I'm sure, many more.

... and that's for the CV carbs. It's even worse for the VM, since there are more adjustment screws -- and one that doesn't show up on any factory exploded diagrams. (The mysterious 'emissions screw', with many AKA's). That's why I came up with this scheme:

I need something I can put into an envelope that explains everything, so people can put the correct O-ring on the correct part. I couldn't think of anything more fool-resistant than the alphabet.
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Funny!
                  On my GS1000 (VM carbs), I call it the pilot mixture screw. On my 1150, I call it the emissions screw. Same thing.

Screwy, huh? Screw it!
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I could tell you what a lot of people call it, especially when it gets stuck, but this is a family forum with filters for bad language... :twisted: :twisted:
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

hm, with a number of threads on the gsr we see dealing with carbs it'd be good if we could get the terminology consistent...
                      to me, and my manual, the screw you're referring to is a (pilot) "mixture screw"
                      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        I could tell you what a lot of people call it, especially when it gets stuck, but this is a family forum with filters for bad language... :twisted: :twisted:
                        Amen, brother! I've got two that merit "questionable terms" right now!

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                          hm, with a number of threads on the gsr we see dealing with carbs it'd be good if we could get the terminology consistent...
                          to me, and my manual, the screw you're referring to is a (pilot) "mixture screw"
                          I COMPLETELY agree. Maybe we could start a terminology thread with pics/diagrams?

Comment

On the CV carbs, it's called the pilot fuel screw. Many of us call it the mixture screw because it regulates a passage from which fuel and air are already combined before reaching this screw. Adjusting it outward increases the amount of air/fuel flowing but this WILL richen the mixture entering the cylinder.
                            On the VM carbs, there are two separate screws. One is the pilot fuel screw. Its purpose is to regulate a mixture of fuel and air through a secondary passage that's part of the pilot circuit. It fine tunes the mixture amount for that cylinder. It "assists" the pilot jet. Adjusting it outward richens the mixture to the cylinder.
                            The second screw is the pilot air screw or what I call the side air screw. I mention "side" because it leaves no doubt as to which screw I'm talking about when posting advice on VM carbs.
                            The side air screw regulates only air flow that enters through the air jet.
                            I also prefer to call it the side air screw because it regulates air for all throttle positions/jetting circuits, not just the pilot circuit. At smaller throttle openings, the air enters the air jet and goes past the air screw and combines with fuel coming up from the pilot jet. This mixture then goes through two passages into the cylinder, one of which is regulated by the pilot fuel screw. At wider throttle positions, the air flow will be directed to the needle jet/main circuit. The needle jet has tiny holes. When fuel enters up the main jet and then through the space between the needle jet and jet needle, the air will flow through these tiny holes to better atomize the fuel. Turning this screw outward will lean the mixture.
                            Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 05-19-2007, 09:21 PM.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                            X