Oil leak on GS1000GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak on GS1000GT

I have seen many posts on oil leaks, but I think this one is a new one. I recently did a gasket job on my bike after someone put the petcock into prime immediatly after winter and it went into hydraulic lock I figured it was time to replace the head gasket to fix some minor leaks coming from the outer oil channels, anyway, this all went pretty well; I think.

When I went to put my tach drive cable back into the engine, I used pliars to tighten them (mistake) and the whole plate which rests on the surface of then engine, and looks like it holds the drive assembly in place (has a single screw holding it down) snapped between the cable entry place and the screw, now there is oil leaking, and I think this is the culprit.

The oil seems to hit the number 3 exhaust pipe at the highest point, there is oil underneath the cable seat which will then collect around the bolt at the front under the head gasket. It doesn't look like anything is coming out from the head gasket though, and the base of the tach cable is completely coated in oil when I touch it.

Every hear of this happening before?

I bought a now locking plate from bike bandit, put it isn't nearly as large as the one that is on the bike, so they either changed it, or I am missing something, I will weld it back together if I have to I guess, it should hold.

Causing annoying smoking off the pipes... but otherwise all the gaskets look to be holding reasonable well, the best I can tell, with exception to the half moon things I should have replaced.

I think I am going to replace the cam gasket again very soon and get the half moons fixed, but the oil that comes from those seals is incredibly minor, just enough to darken the surface of the engine.

Excuse the bad typing, I am tired, lol.

Comment

There is an oil o-ring inside the tach drive unit. Mine used to leak until I replaced it.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have not looked at it yet and probably will not until tomorrow since the weather and temperature out here has not been all that great, will I need to remove the cam cover to get to it?

I am surprised at the amount of oil this little piece can leak, when I stopped my bike, I actually saw it dripping for a second.

Comment

Working...
        X