Oil Indicator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Indicator Question

I am not very mechanically minded so bear with my stupidity please.
    I was recently given a 1981 GS 1100. It had not been run in several years so I took it to a shop and had them take care of it and give it a good safety inspection for me. After driving it for about 2 weeks I checked the oil the only way I knew how - by opening the fill oil cap. When I could not see any oil, I sort of panicked. I went to a gas station and started pouring oil in. After four quarts and I still could not see the oil, I decided not to put any more in an get the bike home. When I got home there was oil dripping all over the place. Obviously I had done something wrong. The next morning I got out the owners manual, found out I was really supposed to check the oil level and then changed the oil so I could have in the recommended 3.8 quarts.
    When I did it, the oil was visible in the window just as it should have been. But the next morning there was no oil in the window at all. I had not driven the bike and there was no oil on the ground. It had not leaked out. I am thinking that something around that window is plugged.
    Is this a huge problem? Should I take it to a shop? The low oil indicator light does not come on when I start it, but I know that light will likely not come on until the engine is about gone.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2007, 10:54 PM.

Get the bike on the center stand. Let it sit for awhile, and check the window. There is nothing behind the window that could get blocked (not easily anyway). If the level is low, add a small amount of oil to get it in the middle of the window. You should only need a little (1/4 qt. at most)

You have to have the bike on the center stand on level ground to accurately check the oil.

When you overfilled it, where was the leaking oil coming from?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The Amazing Disappearing Oil Trick!

Hi marvinmckenzie,

This strange phenomenon also occurs with my bike. The last time I changed the oil, put in the recommended amount, waited for a bit and checked the level. It was barely to the "low" line in the check window. I thought it wouldn't hurt to warm up the engine a bit and let it circulate, so I did that. I stopped the motor and let it sit for a while. When I checked the window, there was no oil visible at all! I ended up putting in another half quart (recommended 2800ml - about 3 quarts) for a total of 3200ml. After driving it to work and back (about 35 miles) and letting it sit, now the oil level is right up to the full line.

It seems some oil gets trapped in the top of the motor, perhaps? I'm truly no expert so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        Get the bike on the center stand. Let it sit for awhile, and check the window. There is nothing behind the window that could get blocked (not easily anyway). If the level is low, add a small amount of oil to get it in the middle of the window. You should only need a little (1/4 qt. at most)

You have to have the bike on the center stand on level ground to accurately check the oil.

When you overfilled it, where was the leaking oil coming from?
        I can't tell you for sure, it was dripping all over the bottom of the bike, the kick stand was soaked and dripping.

Do you think I should add more oil?

Comment

the amount of oil you need to use depends on whether you use a new filter or not
          the quantity figure stamped on the clutch cover is for the oil change only
          with the hew filter you need to add more (the filter has to be changed on every other oil change)

on my 850 the quantities are as follows:
          oil only 2.8l
          oil and filter 3.6l
          engine overhaul 3.8l

when using a new filter make sure the engine runs for a while before checking the oil level (as the filter needs to soak some oil in)
          GS850GT

Comment

window clouded over

So you all got me a little more concerned. I added another quart of oil (that makes 5) The stamp above the oil cap says 3200 ml.

Anyway, the window now appears to be clouded over so I can't see through it.

There is a leak coming off of the heads? (Is that what they are called) and dripping off the front of the exhaust manifold.

Comment

Get a manual and read it.i always let my bike sit overnight before checking the oil.Even a half hour after riding it still will have oil in the upper end.i never fill mine all the way to the full line either,just 3/4 and it seems to run better.The worst thing is to overfill it!

Comment

Hi it might not be the head leaking but just the cam cover gasket they often leak at the front and run oil over the pipes on the left hand side no big problem,just a new gasket or sealer , as for oil if you only put a minimum amount of oil in the engine and start it up then check the oil straight after the oil will be in the pump ,crank, and in the top of the engine for awhile before it drains down makeing it appear as if the oil has gone so make sure you do let it settle before topping it up or you might overfill it and cause more leaks.

Comment

DO NOT ADD ANY MORE OIL. :shock:

The fact that it looks cloudy means that the level is too high and the crank is whipping it into a froth. As mentioned many times above, the bike needs to be on the centerstand when checking the oil level. If you have it on the side stand, there will be no oil in the view window. If you add until you see it there, it will be WAY overfilled.

Also keep in mind that if you just barely see the level at the bottom of the window, it takes less than 1/2 quart to bring it up to the top of the window.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    DO NOT ADD ANY MORE OIL. :shock:

The fact that it looks cloudy means that the level is too high and the crank is whipping it into a froth. As mentioned many times above, the bike needs to be on the centerstand when checking the oil level. If you have it on the side stand, there will be no oil in the view window. If you add until you see it there, it will be WAY overfilled.

Also keep in mind that if you just barely see the level at the bottom of the window, it takes less than 1/2 quart to bring it up to the top of the window.

I have it on the center stand. It is on level ground.

I think I have already messed up for tonight. I am about six mile from home and I have added another quart.

Can I still drive it home?

Comment

Here is the bike. Many I would love to make it a great ride.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X