Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Pipes Options

Hi all,
    I have a 1980 GS1000G with some pipe problems. The right pipe must have rusted out and the previous owner welded a pretty ugly and large (10” x 3”) patch onto the bottom of the pipe. The left pipe looks like it is starting to rust out as there is a pinhole exhaust leak. So I’m looking for advice/options such as:
    • Have the pipes professionally repaired and re-chromed?
    • Replace with new/used stock pipes?
    • Replace with aftermarket pipes ( 4 to 2 or 4 to 1)
    Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Scott

Vance and Hines 4 into 1 with a Dynojet stage 1 rejet would give your bike a nice boost in power and save you about 30-40 pounds off the stock weight. They look good too.

Comment

I put a mac 4 into 1 on a 81 1000G this winter. So far so good. I've had kerker pipes on other Gs, Ive owned over the years. Only time will tell about quality of the Mac, as some have said that they are of questionable quality, just don't know yet. As mentioned above, there is a significant weight savings over stock, and another nice perk is that it makes changing the rear tire a much more pleasant task!!! Almost worth it just for that!! I'm partial to the sound verses stock system. Not to loud, and not to quiet, but that of course is just my opinion..

Comment

A new stock exhaust is not available for your bike, so that's not an option.

I put a new 4 into 1 Jardine on my '79 GS850G. In my opinion, too loud but that's subjective, and now its done. If I had to do it over again, I'd try my best to find a better stock exhaust, but some luck is involved there. Vance and Hines has a reputation for good quality. If you get a 4 into 1 also keep in mind that even with your stock air box, some carb adjustments will probably be necessary.

I don't know anything about the Mac 4 into 2 exhaust. I hear that stock carb settings work pretty well though.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
          Vance and Hines 4 into 1 with a Dynojet stage 1 rejet would give your bike a nice boost in power and save you about 30-40 pounds off the stock weight. They look good too.
          What do you think of this 4 into 1 http://tinyurl.com/yuvtwy

Comment

Don't forget Laser makes a nice 4 into 1 that isn't loud at all for the 1000G

There are a few places to get in the USA,,, A little more money but it is very well built

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by jsthomps View Post
              What do you think of this 4 into 1 http://tinyurl.com/yuvtwy

As far as I know those pipes are for racing and are not street legal. But you are in Canada, so check your laws there.

Comment

definitely go for the new pipes unless you want to sell your bike soon
                with the old pipes you never know what you're getting as you can't see them from the INSIDE
                you get a bit clearer picture once the old chrome is stripped and the pipes are treated for rust but by then it's too late as you had already bought the product
                the pipes that LOOk ok after the prep can show quite a different picture
                GS850GT

Comment

If you like the stock look search Jama on this site and there is a thread about original looking replacements.
                  If your headers are ok, you can cut off the megaphones and replace only them.
                  If you like to throw good money out the window, try to repair the rusted out megaphones.

Comment

Or do what I did, and make your own.

Comment

Thanks for all your input. I think I'll go for a 4 into 1 Vance & Hines Street Megaphone System.
                      Cheers,
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X