New battery, absolutely no juice, checked fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New battery, absolutely no juice, checked fuses

[-o< Hey fellow Suzuki fans, I have a 1981 Suzuki GS1100EX that has approx 18,000 orig miles. Bike has been running just fine and then all of a sudden no lights, no action, unless bump/jump started then bike will run with all functional lights, etc. Lights will flicker when revved or when signal applied, etc. Just replaced new battery with another new battery just in case and no results? Also checked fuses and they were alright. Then wiggled wiring around just to see if easy short could be found, no luck? What in the world could be the problem here, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Bobby
    Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2007, 01:25 AM.

Try cleaning the ground from the battery to the engine case. Even though the fuses look good they might not. I pulled a good? fuse out once that crumbled in my hand. Check the wire that comes directly off the positive terminal (the small one) and also the big one that connects to the solenoid. Also try cleaning your ignition switch.
    Last edited by chef1366; 05-20-2007, 12:45 AM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks I will try that

I appreciate opinion and will check this tomorrow. I hope it's nothing too major, cause this thing is a bitch to push start, especially by yourself.

Comment

Still No Luck!

Well Chef1366, I did as you said about connections and ends. Cleaned all contact areas and still nothing, I'm a little bamboozled on this and would love to figure this thing out. I'm sure it will end up being something simple in the end but who knows. Anyways, thanks again for the advice and keep those replies coming.

Thanks, Bobby

Comment

I had problems like yours once and found the problem in the ground connections in the headlight basket.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Time to whip out the multimeter and test the circuits methodically. That way you're sure to find the fault - no guessing games. Been discussed a million times - see other posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketohitthegspot View Post
              [-o< Hey fellow Suzuki fans, I have a 1981 Suzuki GS1100EX that has approx 18,000 orig miles. Bike has been running just fine and then all of a sudden no lights, no action, unless bump/jump started then bike will run with all functional lights, etc. Lights will flicker when revved or when signal applied, etc. Just replaced new battery with another new battery just in case and no results? Also checked fuses and they were alright. Then wiggled wiring around just to see if easy short could be found, no luck? What in the world could be the problem here, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Bobby
              Hello Bobby. What you NEED.....is some basic understanding of electricity and circuits.....and then armed with even a basic test light and/or voltmeter; make some basic measurements to find out why your old-new battery and your new-new battery don't appear to be connected. No lights, no action unless bump started tells the obvious......that you do have a working charging system but that your battery is not connected to it. Don't run it like this until you find the broken wire or connection. I'll be glad to walk you through logical steps to follow if you need further help.

Comment

Working...
              X