Turn Signal difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal difficulty

This will sound silly, but I need some help. My GS550E has s...l...o...w turn signals, also the lights are dim. I believe I need a new flasher, but I cannot find the darn thing! I have the owner's manual and shop manual, but neither gives a clue as to where the flasher is located. I have looked under the side covers to no avail ... unless the flasher looks entirely different than any flasher I have ever seen.

Can someone please tell me where is the flasher on the GS550E?

Thank you, RevRoy

Usually my past turn signal woes come from bad grounds. I would think a flasher works or doesn't work. It sound like you have a bad battery or charging system. Check out the stator papers. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Comment

GS550E Flasher location

The flasher on my son's 1985 GS550EF is mounted directly on the battery box. The flasher has a rubber piece that slips over a tab molded into the box. When you remove the seat, the flasher can be seen on the left rear corner of the battery box.

We just replaced the flasher on his bike with an OEM unit from flatoutmotorcycles.com. I think it was about $30. The flasher had been absent from the bike when he bought it. The wiring diagram in our Clymer manual indicates 3 connections to the flasher ... 1) 12V to the flasher, 2) the flasher output, which goes to the turn signal switch, and 3) chassis ground. There were three connectors available on the bike, as well. Our new flasher, however (genuine Suzuki part) only has 2 connectors. I followed the circuit and could see no need for a ground connection to the flasher itself, so hooked it up with the two available connectors and it's all good.

About your problem:
        1) is it a new problem? if so, do you know what may have changed?
        2) do the rest of your lights work correctly?
        3) are you using the correct bulbs in your turn signals?
        4) do you have the correct bulbs installed in the turn signal indicators on your instrument cluster? are they working?

I'm not sure, but an electro-mechanical flasher may work using a bimetallic armature that deflects as it heats up under load, breaks the circuit, cools and returns to original shape, closes the circuit, and starts the cycle again. If this is accurate, a change in the flasher's load (correct bulbs, for example), might influence how long the armature takes to heat and deflect ...

Sounds good, anyway.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

Help received

Okay, gentlemen, thanks for your input. I did not realize the entire problem until this morning. So, I am leaning toward a screwed up wiring job, or perhaps a bad light socket. I just bought the bike, and here's what is happening: The turn signals work great when the light switch on the handlebars is "Off." When I turn on the light switch, the rear (only) turn signals fail. Turning on either the "left" or "right" turn signal causes everything on the rear of the bike to blink faintly (except the brake lights, which are not affected). The front signals work just fine.

Other than this turn signal problem, the bike is running well. It starts easily, holds a charge, etc. The longest I have ridden it so far has been for two hours, and it ran just fine in all gears and at all speeds.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted.

Royce

Comment

Originally posted by RevRoy View Post
            This will sound silly, but I need some help. My GS550E has s...l...o...w turn signals, also the lights are dim. I believe I need a new flasher, but I cannot find the darn thing! I have the owner's manual and shop manual, but neither gives a clue as to where the flasher is located. I have looked under the side covers to no avail ... unless the flasher looks entirely different than any flasher I have ever seen.

Can someone please tell me where is the flasher on the GS550E?

Thank you, RevRoy
            Howdy RevRoy........Your problem is low system voltage. Measure across the battery to confirm (if ok, advise.......you then have unwanted voltage drops elsewhere which I can help you with). Troubleshoot the cause of THIS for a fix.

Comment

Working...
            X