what happened??? (clutch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what happened??? (clutch)

ok this is a 78 gs1000e.. clutch cable it only about 6 months old.. i always kept a nickle gap in the lever... then tonite when i was riding the lever got really tight, and the lcuth was slipping like crazy... so i went home.. i readjusted it, had to turn the screw all the way in to even get the lsightest bit of slack in the lever.. not even a dimes worth.. what the hell happened? i dont get how the clutch can just tighten up??? thanks -matt

this may be a no brainer, but is there oil in the motor? maybe its getting ready to lock up on you.....

Comment

yea theres oil in it.. i checked that

Comment

ok well we went cruising and then all the sudden my clutch went out... it will sit and idle in gear... so its off to the shop tomarrow to get the carbs synched and the clutch replaced... ill go there and do the clutch myself, so hopefully it all works out fine.. btw: thanks for all the answers to an immediate problem.... :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
          ok well we went cruising and then all the sudden my clutch went out... it will sit and idle in gear... so its off to the shop tomarrow to get the carbs synched and the clutch replaced... ill go there and do the clutch myself, so hopefully it all works out fine.. btw: thanks for all the answers to an immediate problem.... :shock:
          Gee, I didnt actually see any answers to your question and Im very interested cause mine just did the same thing. Dont tell me Im looking at a clutch replacement. Why did the cable all the sudden get tight ?
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

im guessing becasue of loss of friction material on the discs... so the space between the discs gets less and less closing the clutch more and pulling the cable tight.. but thats just a guess.. yea.. clutch worked fine.. then it just started slipping last night on the way home.. then today drove it about 10 miles around town.. and then nothing.. just lost all grab... hopefully yours wont go out.

edit- i was being sarcastic about all the answers i got.. i couldnt believe i only got one...

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochikin04 View Post
              ok this is a 78 gs1000e.. clutch cable it only about 6 months old.. i always kept a nickle gap in the lever... then tonite when i was riding the lever got really tight, and the lcuth was slipping like crazy... so i went home.. i readjusted it, had to turn the screw all the way in to even get the lsightest bit of slack in the lever.. not even a dimes worth.. what the hell happened? i dont get how the clutch can just tighten up??? thanks -matt
              Keep the troubleshooting logical. First disconnect the cable from the clutch operating arm end (transmission case end) and see whether it's still stiff. It wouldn't surprise me, given how you said it failed, that it could be a breaking cable center and/or a breaking sheath......eiither of which may show up as a stretched cable (unable to adjust) and often with binding tendencies. Proceed from this point.

Comment

Working...
              X