1980 GS850G carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850G carb Question

I just got a 1980 GS850G I looks great and the only thing wrong with it is there was a carb adjusting problem. The Gentalman who own the bike before me adjusted something on the Carbs and well its just not running right now. I need to figure out how to balance/tune the carbs so I can ride this beauty.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

First of all, how long ago did it run? Chances are, if it has not run for a couple of months or more, you need to start with cleaning the carbs before you worry about balancing them. After cleaning, a balance will be necessary, but make sure they are clean first.

Here is a link to the series on how to properly clean the carbs.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Right, also in order to have an accurate sychronization, make sure your valves are correctly adjusted.

Also the same old stuff. Your airbox (assuming your bike is stock) needs to be perfectly sealed, intake 0-rings good, petcock working correctly, etc.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2007, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Ok I got the down low on what had happened to the Carbs in the first place...
        the bike was running fine until the previous owner turn 1 screw on 1 carb then the bike backfired and shut off. So I'm guessing this is the air screw that he turned. So my attempt is to find out what screw it was and then turn it back

:-)

Comment

Assuming that its one these screws:

something you could do would be to carefully count the number of turns each screw takes to be lightly seated. One of them is probably way off. Match the one that's out of whack with the other two to give you at least a preliminary setting.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
            Match the one that's out of whack with the other two to give you at least a preliminary setting.

Uhhh...most of the 850s that I have seen had FOUR cylinders,
            so find the one that is out of whack and adjust to match the other THREE.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah the gentalman said it was a screw on top of the carb so I'm guessing it was an air screw.. what he also said is that the screw is a little tore up so I'll be able to tell which one it is.... I'll keep you posted..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Uhhh...most of the 850s that I have seen had FOUR cylinders,
                so find the one that is out of whack and adjust to match the other THREE.

Guess we figured out which one is out of whack.

Comment

So I had it running this weekend actually got to ride it .. almost took it around the block .. but then I ran out of gas haha so now all is left to do is balance the carbs...

thanks for all the info

Comment

Gas is good. ;-)
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X