GS850 1979 parts for a 1980?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 1979 parts for a 1980?

I just started a project bike (1980 GS850), which I purchased last and I am looking for parts. I was wondering if the 1979 parts are interchangeable with the 1980 bike. (eq: airbox, front fender)

Also, does anyone have a good salvaged parts dealer? I found a few but any advise is welcome.

Thanks.

haynes service manual, printed in 1980, tells you all the the changes introduced in 1980 (the major change probably being /from memory/ the different carbs, also throttle cable, slotted discs, few bolts on the engine, etc.)
    you can also compare models, part by part, here:
    Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

i'm doing one of these up myself:
    hi guys my bike's been living for a while with a hope of being restored one day and i decided well why not me, so i have just started the project with the engine overhaul :yes: now, the thing is that this is my first :Punk: so, i'm thinking i'm gonna need some help from people who have been there before, especially when it comes to the inspection/measurement of all the internal components and just general advice on how to go about restoring parts as i'm new to auckland biking scene
    GS850GT

Comment

(In the US anyway) you'll have different ignition, different wheel spoke design, no kick starter, a painted front fender (interchangeable, though) and a halogen headlight. There are probably a few more I can't remember anymore.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
        (In the US anyway) you'll have different ignition, different wheel spoke design, no kick starter, a painted front fender (interchangeable, though) and a halogen headlight. There are probably a few more I can't remember anymore.
        Bob, you're correct on all counts except one: the wheel spoke design is identical from 79 to 80. I know because I had one of each; they both have the pentagram design. It was the 82 model that went to a different (tubeless) design.

Back in 1998 I moved some items from my wrecked 79 to an 80 I bought to replace it. The following items, which I remember on top of my head, fit perfectly on the 80:
        -- fuel tank
        -- seat
        -- starter
        -- forks, front axle, front wheel, speedo drive, spacers, etc.
        -- side covers
        -- rear cowl
        -- rear wheel (slots or solid disc, it doesn't matter, they're interchangeable).
        -- rear end and rear caliper and master cylinder
        -- fuse "box"
        -- driveshaft/u-joint

Cylinder heads are not interchangeable, but I believe pistons and cylinders are.

Comment

For salvaged parts, you can call http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
          They have many, many more parts than they list on-line, so a phone call is a required step.
          Best of luck, hope this helps.

Comment

I have a GS850 79 Frame with a GS1000 80 engine in it, seems that everything fits well, with exception for the exhaust which appear to have had the mounting brakets moved to make them work, it is difficult to confirm if this is the case though because the exhaust is actually printed as being for an 850 on it.

However a lot of the parts are different, the air filter and carbs do seem fairly different, my Clymer manual also suggests that the carb type was switched in 1980 as well so you should probably stick with whatever year/model your engine is.

Comment

Working...
            X