Lowering Links for an 83 550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering Links for an 83 550E

My wife just started riding and I'm going to pass off my 550 to her, but she's a bit shorter than I am and I think it would be helpful to lower the bike 1 to 1.5 inches. I've done some poking around and I haven't come up with any sources for lowering links for the mono shock bikes.

I've switched out the shock to a GSXr shock so I'm also a little concerned about the lower ground clearance. Does any one have first hand experince lowering a bike with the gixxer shock?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2007, 11:58 PM.

Make her learn on a hard tail. :-D
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Have the seat shaved down and a little narrower in the front. Thats how my 5ft tall wife has done. Any decent upholster can do.

Comment

I know I could get the seat worked on but I'd much rather just slap some longer links on. That way it's totally reversible when I go to sell the bike.

Do any of you know off hand if links from a GS500 would work?
        Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2007, 12:36 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't think you'd want it any lower than the GSXR shock already puts it. I looked into using different links from a gs500 to raise mine, but their isn't any crossover between the two systems. I eventually just took the vertical link from the swingarm to the 'rocker' above the shock, and sectioned it to ADD height to the system. You could cut some length out of this link and reweld if you want, but the GS500 won't work without the same amount of rework.

Comment

Working...
          X