Aux junction box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aux junction box?

I'm in the process of replacing the square headlight with a 7" round chrome and replacing the instrument cluster with an Electrosport / Acewell Digital Speedometer.

The problem is that I simply do not have enough room in the new bucket to do the appropriate wiring. It's more than simple wiring as I scavenged the rotary reed switch out of the original speedo and will need mount that to accept the speedometer connection from the front wheel. This will act at the input into the new speedo unit as well as ensure that the turn signal canceling will still work.

There are several threaded holes on the front of the frame and what I am looking to do is to obtain or build a box that will bolt to the frame there and wire in the primary harness there. The necessary feeds will come from there to the headlight bucket. Additionally, I would mount the speedo reed switch in the box with it's threaded connector sticking out the top (this way, I can use the original speedo cable).

I'm guessing that a 4" x 8" x 2" box would be about right, if a little big.

Before I spend the time at the welder, does anyone have any ideas on where I might be able to find such a box?

Thanks,
    - Tony

check electronic parts suppliers, check www.jameco.com (?) for project boxes, radio shack may even be a help.

Comment

ps you might also try an electrical parts business. i seem to remember a ac outlet/ac light switch box about the size you need. it would be called i believe an 8 square box.

Comment

Great ideas. Both have given me a few options that should work perfectly.

Thanks for the input,
        - Tony

Comment

Originally posted by demark View Post
          I'm in the process of replacing the square headlight with a 7" round chrome and replacing the instrument cluster with an Electrosport / Acewell Digital Speedometer.

The problem is that I simply do not have enough room in the new bucket to do the appropriate wiring. It's more than simple wiring as I scavenged the rotary reed switch out of the original speedo and will need mount that to accept the speedometer connection from the front wheel. This will act at the input into the new speedo unit as well as ensure that the turn signal canceling will still work.

There are several threaded holes on the front of the frame and what I am looking to do is to obtain or build a box that will bolt to the frame there and wire in the primary harness there. The necessary feeds will come from there to the headlight bucket. Additionally, I would mount the speedo reed switch in the box with it's threaded connector sticking out the top (this way, I can use the original speedo cable).

I'm guessing that a 4" x 8" x 2" box would be about right, if a little big.

Before I spend the time at the welder, does anyone have any ideas on where I might be able to find such a box?

Thanks,
          - Tony
          Howdy Tony......3 off-the-shelf ideas are to check out a small FX electrical box at your home/industrial supplier......these are cast aluminum, seamless with usually 2 NPT-F threaded connections to accept a gland type water-tight connector (or a blank plug) and will accept a blank plate. While you're there, ask about watertight plastic equivalents (Sceptre is one company)....GOOD quality but hard to find real small sometimes. Second is to look at a standard 7 wire plastic rectangular trailer junction box at your local truck parts supplier......about 9" x 3" x 2"......less pretty but effective and it already has a 7 terminal barrier strip inside. Third is to check out a local chandler or marine supply store as they usually have small water resistant junction boxes which usually are blank and need to be drilled but which could make a nice looking job (the most expensive of the 3).

Comment

Working...
          X